What is it? (Amateur Version POST05)

Here is the fifth tool post in the series. As usual, I will try to answer q uestions about their composition, size and how they can move (although for these four, they each move as a single unit). Pictures are provide via drop box. There is one composite image per tool.

POST05_TOOL17 This is a metal tool approximately 8 inches long. The handle is a metal tub e but covered in red rubbery plastic.

POST05_TOOL18 This metal and wood tool is approximately 11 inches long. The smaller bent part is 2 inches long. It ends in a triangular point which is not sharp.

POST05_TOOL19 This wooden tool is approximately 7 inches long. Obviously in the hammer fa mily, the material is noticeably less dense and less hard than an avergage piece of wood but not to the extreme of say balsa. Its total weight is appr oximately 2 ounces.

POST05_TOOL20 This is a steel tool approximately 7 1/2 inches long with a 3 1/2 inch cros s piece. The cross piece is fixed in position. The end of the tool is taper ed and has 1/2-inch long slit up the middle. The slit passes through what w ould be a hole 1/8 of inch in diameter at its midpoint. The slit has very l ittle give, that is, it would take a lot of force to widen or narrow it.

L. Flynn

Reply to
leflynn

I only have answers for three of the four.

POST05_TOOL17 This is a metal tool approximately 8 inches long. The handle is a metal tub e but covered in red rubbery plastic.

I do not know what this tool is. My first thought on seeing it was that it was a novelty Giant Bottle Opener but it is overdesigned as it is a strong steel tool with a good quality grip/cover. It could obviously be used to pr y covers off of something (perhaps buckets) but the dimensions are not like other examples I've found.

POST05_TOOL18

I think that this is a single-tine gardening hand tool in the class of hand tillers, harrows and cultivators, although I have not found a perfect matc h. It is not a weeder as there is no cutting edge.

POST05_TOOL19

This is a crab hammer. Similar to these seen here

POST05_TOOL20

I have two possibilities for this tool. I think that the hole makes it more likely that it is a Clockmaker's Wire Bender than a typewriter repair T-Be nder Key Straightener but you can look at these and decide for yourself.
RN.jpg
-- Search for "wire be nder"
-- Page 38 #42 T-Bender, w ith large size slot

L. Flynn

Reply to
leflynn