Mosin Nagant

Finally took possession of this 91/30. It was a local transaction, just took a bit long.
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Mosin-Nagant-1/
Based on in depth look, this rifle appears unissued. The safety on the bolt, after repeated use, should leave a mark (gouge) on the receiver, and the mark is missing. The rifle has no signs of use (no scratches or gouges).
The bayonet is cool too.
All I can say is wow.

A bud has two, one shoots OK-ish, the other will dot an "i" at 200 yds. They often don't get the respect they deserve.

I doubt that mine is a very accurate rifle, but I have not yet tried it.
On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 08:03:52 -0500, Ignoramus25694

Hell, Ig. If the barrel has a minor bend, and it shoots around corners, just set the scope to shoot around the same corner. No biggie.
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Check out the M39 Finns..they are captured and reworked MNs and are incredibly accurate. More so than a star gauged Springfield.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/finnishmosin/index.asp
These are the only MNs that I bother handloading for. I keep thinking about scoping one......
Gunner

I put a scope on mine, works great. It is easy, too.
On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 22:12:35 -0500, Ignoramus17745

Amazing. She does look clean.

The spikes are my favorite, too. I have one for my SKS, but haven't installed it.

Ditto. What'd ya give for her?
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

I looked all over for evidence of use. I looked for scratches, gouges, wear where sliding parts come in contact, wear from safety being repeatedly engages, etc, and found nothing.

I actually prefer bladed bayonets, they are much more versatile.

$82.77. Not the cheapest ever deal, but pretty good for what looks like a new rifle.
On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 08:03:25 -0500, Ignoramus25694

Bore shiny, sharp, and perfect?

For use off the rifle, or what?

Damned good deal. Does the guy have any more like that? $80 for a decent, long-range, sniperable rifle is a pittance. They do take a lot of cleaning with that corrosive ammo, though.
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

It looks OK, it does seem shiny, but I am not sure about perfect.

For all kinds of uses

No, it was just one. I am not personally sure that the rifle can be easily fitted with optic sight. It has a round receiver.
On Oct 5, 9:36am, Ignoramus25694 <ignoramus25...@NOSPAM. 25694.invalid> wrote:

Iggy, Many rifles have round receivers.... Drill & tap is the common procedure for putting mounts on these types of receivers.
For example, Mauser 98's are case hardened, and require a bit of spot annealing before you drill.
Ignoramus25694 wrote:

Easy for a qualified gunsmith, or even a decent machinist. Scope mount milled to match the receiver's radius, a few screw holes drilled and tapped.

Piece of cake for our newest CNCer, eh? Which one of youse guys is going to go hold his hand while he gets out the tiny, broken tap? <cringe>
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

I added a scope to my other Mosin Nagant (Finnish M39). At the time I had no other tools, besides an electric drill. It worked out pretty well. I am not going to modify this rifle for the sake of adding a scope, I think that it would be somewhat insulting to the rifle.
I still do not think that adding a scope mount to a round receiver would work as well, though.
On 10/6/2010 12:35 AM, Ignoramus25694 wrote:

thousands, possibly millions of rifles with round receivers have successfully had scopes mounted over the last century. it's a very standard operation. All it takes is a base with the same curve, and a couple of holes drilled and tapped.
--
I can see November from my front porch

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 00:35:10 -0500, Ignoramus25694

Ah, so it's a collector ya have there, me lad? Foine, foine.

Well enough to work, not as well as a square, or what?
"Sticky Mosin Nagant Bolt? Making your Mosin Rock parts 1 & 2" M91/30 M38 M44 M39 Finnish Russian instructional videos describe lots of interesting things.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXC_PQkLkNA

-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch
On 10/5/2010 9:36 AM, Ignoramus25694 wrote:

How about a long eye relief scope mounted on the rear sight base?
<http://dutchman.rebooty.com/ler.html
Down toward the bottom of the page he shows an M-N mount and some info about other makers.
David

They work well enough, if you locktite everything down. Ive several arms Ive made mounts like this for. This of course prevents (in most cases) speed loader loading however. Which is not a big issue generally.
Gunner
On 10/5/2010 9:36 AM, Ignoramus25694 wrote:

How about a long eye relief scope mounted on the rear sight base?
<http://dutchman.rebooty.com/ler.html
Down toward the bottom of the page he shows an M-N mount and some info about other makers.
David
On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 09:36:44 -0500, Ignoramus25694

They can.
Gunner