Mosin Nagant

Ah, so it's a collector ya have there, me lad? Foine, foine.

Well enough to work, not as well as a square, or what?

"Sticky Mosin Nagant Bolt? Making your Mosin Rock parts 1 & 2" M91/30 M38 M44 M39 Finnish Russian instructional videos describe lots of interesting things.

-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Reply to
Larry Jaques

almost forgot.

Sorry no. Just saw flyer from AIM, they want $300 for romanian sks's on a 03 license. Collecting got a bit too rich for my current pay scale. I think the last really good deal was the 7.5 swiss rifles and that was a long time ago. I am so thankfull I got some mausers back in the 89-129 dollar days.

Wes

Wes

almost forgot.

really good deal

Yep, the Mausers are very expensive nowadays. I think that a lot of them was destroyed past=WWII, unlike the Mosins which were warehoused.

Ignoramus6500

go home due to

tractors. Both

I admire how Russians can make something that works that a peasant with a bit of education can keep working. My sports car and tractor comment was praise for a different way of thinking.

For example, we have bought these for the Afghans.

Then there was the Mig-25 that had one main purpose. However, we, using our biases, thought was something else. We of course made the F-15 to counter it. Being a phormer phantom phixer, I like air craft that have engines that could make a brick fly. Think J79.

The Russian a/c was a single mode for the most part a/c but the F15 had to do everything and do it well. That is why American warfighting tools are so darn expensive.

Wes

Wes

go home due to

tractors. Both

of education

F15 seems to be a very successful airplane, as far as I can tell. So is Mi-17 helicopter.

Ignoramus30461

condition is really

didn't go home due to

like tractors. Both

bit of education

different way of

Being a phormer

fly. Think

do everything

More than the Mig-21? You might want to check again? And in what way does it "beat them all"?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Check out the M39 Finns..they are captured and reworked MNs and are incredibly accurate. More so than a star gauged Springfield.

These are the only MNs that I bother handloading for. I keep thinking about scoping one......

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I put a scope on mine, works great. It is easy, too.

Ignoramus11985

They can.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

They work well enough, if you locktite everything down. Ive several arms Ive made mounts like this for. This of course prevents (in most cases) speed loader loading however. Which is not a big issue generally.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

home due to

tractors. Both

"Americans went to war with target rifles Germans went war with hunting rifles Brits went to war with battle rifles"

Russians went to war with tractors

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

go home due to

tractors. Both

Well.....the 700 is a good foundation for a precision rifle..but out of the box..hardly "precision"

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

not. I should

Yugoslavian military

almost forgot.

Not a bad start!!

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

go home due to

tractors. Both

Is there a precision rifle, that one could buy under one grand. Not that I would want to do it...

Any thought on a Mossberg 7mm Rem Mag? What is it capable of?

Ignoramus11985

condition is really

go home due to

tractors. Both

I think at this moment..If I were to be purchasing an "out of the box" rifle for accuracy...Id buy one of the current model heavy barreled Savages. They are VERY accurate for an out of the box rifle. Very nicely done.

Not knowing WHICH of the various Mossbergs you are discussing..I cant give you an opinion other than several of them that Ive owned over the years were "adequate" in accuracy.

Now a well made "accuracy" rifle in 7mm mag..they can be exceptionally accurate. Many of the 1000 yrd matches over the years have been won with the 7mm Mag with proper handloads.

Ive a medium weight 700 Remington thats been pillar bedded, etc etc etc..that will shoot 2" groups at 400 yrds, 6" groups at 800 and 10" groups at 1000 yrds...for about 5 shots..and then they start to open up a bit. Barrel has not been cryo'd and is of so so quality and the trigger is stock with a shrug..."fair" 12x scope.

If I were to mod out this rifle for long range shooting..it would get a much better barrel, decent glass and an aftermarket trigger..and a good stock.

Now 7 mag is not one of my favorite cartridges for long range. Shrug..but they are suitable in most cases.

300 Win Mag, 338 Lapua, 416 Taylor etc etc....the list of GOOD long range cartridges is pretty long.

Gunner, who lives in the desert and can easily shoot many thousands of yrds...hundreds of thousands of yards.....

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Like, what model? Say, 12 FVSS?

The reason why I like rifles more than handguns, is that I can mess with them, add scopes, etc.

Ignoramus10202

And the T34/76 was a really GOOD tractor!

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

No scoped handguns in your battery? Check out Thompson-Contenders.

Now the big question is...how far can you actually shoot in your area?

It may be like having a tricked out car or truck that will go from 0-120 in 4 seconds..but if your speed limit is 55....you will sooner or later have some issues.....

Living in the north woods of Michigan, I had no or little ability to shoot 400 yrds let alone 1500. So an accurate to 1500 yrd cartridge/arm really was...superflouious.

Living in the desert..thats another matter completely.

You do know that the 45-70 can be an acceptionally accurate..very accurate cartridge, in the proper arm, right? 1 hole 5 shot groups are common. But while it will indeed shoot out to 1000 yrds....one must watch out for low flying planes when doing so.

Living in a "short range" state as you do...I think Id go more towards the small .22 centerfires than the big long range express cartridges. You can at least find 200 yrds to shoot em, unlike a .338 Lapua etc

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Indeed it was!

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

However I do wonder what qualifies the Garand as less of a "battle rifle" and more of a "target rifle" than the Lee-Enfield.

Reply to
J. Clarke