OT- Concealed Carry Recommendations

Any favorites for a concealed carry pistol? A former gun dealer at work recommended getting an inexpensive gun because he said if you have to draw on someone, it is likely that the police will confiscate your weapon. He thought the Ruger 380 Auto would be good.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

You really want to trust your life to a cheap handgun ? My suggestion is for something reliable , whether it be a revolver

Reply to
Snag

How will you carry? The smaller .380 pistols can be very handy as long as they are reliable. I like my PPK that has been cleaned up and smoothed. Reliable and accurate. Not the lightest out there but it also doesn't bite as bad when using hotter ammo. That is one of the catches with most of the lightweight pistols.

Reply to
Steve W.

============

My advice is worth at least twice what you pay for it...

It is well to remember that if you are forced to draw/use your weapon, it is highly likely the perp will be high on adrenaline and/or drugs, and while one or more center of mass hits with a 380, even with FMJs may prove fatal in a few moments, you and/or your family may well sustain considerable damage in those few moments, for example from a knife attack.

While the 380, at least in the newer versions is compact, light, and an easy carry, IMNSHO it has, at best, marginal stopping performance, particularly with FMJ loads, and if you carry with expanding hollow-points, be sure to fire a box or two to verity reliability. I would suggest double action is a "must," and if you carry locked, the safety must be easily and instinctively movable with one hand to "fire" from "safe," and loaded magazine substitution can be a problem. Suitable quick low light target acquisition [not target] sights should also be a concern as most confrontations reported to be in dimly lit conditions.

The least I would consider would be a 9M/M parabellem, preferably using the P++ loading and hollow points. There are a number of good value weapons available with quick action safeties, good low light sights (or laser pointers), and easy magazine reload. If you are not particularly sensitive to muzzle flash and recoil a 40 or 45 caliber is even better, but these have astounding muzzle blast/flash when fired in low light conditions (which may be beneficial in communicating to the perp they should be in a different line of work, even if you totally miss...)

The rimmed version of the 9m/m for revolver use is the 38 special, and Smith makes a 357 chambering on the medium K frame which is ideal for carry with a 3 or 4 inch barrel. Again the muzzle blast and fireball from a full pressure 357 in a three inch barrel is quite impressive, but you can use

38 special blooper [wad cutter] loads for practice and/or 38 special hollow point carry rounds if you are especially sensitive, although in an actual combat situation this will be the least of your worries. Again low light [not target] sights/target acquisition may be a concern.

One cheap fix is to paint the front and rear sights with high visibility white, yellow or orange air plane dope to make these stand out in low light against a dark background.

Of almost equal importance to the firearm is the holster, which must be both secure and easily accessible. If you chose a semi-automatic, I would suggest a suitable rig should also include secure storage and easy access for two magazines.

It is worth remembering that in a confrontation with a criminal, even a 25 automatic is better than nothing, and a weapon with which you are familiar, comfortable, and in which you have confidence, is far superior to even the perfect weapon which is strange, and with which you have had minimal or no experience/practice.

You need not buy a new weapon, but try to stick to one of the major brands. In this case function trumps appearence/status.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

It makes sense that a dealer recommends to buy a gun.

But it makes no sense to buy it. Just carry the one you have./

The chances of you using your gun while carrying concealed are very small and the risk of getting it confiscated are minuscule.

Ignoramus26907

He was a dealer but gave it up, he sold guns at a good price but I'm guessing didn't make enough money to continue. So he makes no money if I buy a smaller gun.

My 2 pistols are a Ruger P89T, large frame and as smooth as a staple gun, and a S&W 44Mag with 8-3/8" barrel, neither is ideal for concealed carry. I have shot the Ruger 9mm quite a bit and even though it's not smooth, I got to where I can hit stuff with it. Shot a small bird across the pond, shot some wasps, snakes, turtles (head shot on a good size snapper). But with guns that large, I wouldn't want to carry them, I'm thinking about maybe a

410 gauge/45 long colt derringer plus maybe a semi-auto or a revolver.

I agree, but some of the "very reliable" models are under $500 while others are over $1000. I'd kind of like a .22(mag?) for practicing with, I'm thinking a shot between the eyes with a 22 might be better than a non-vital body shot with a larger caliber.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

My current plans are to carry my Beretta 92

Ignoramus26907

Roger , my Ruger is a P90 , very similar to your 9 . Shoulder rig under a shirt or light jacket , or a belt holster under a shirt , vest , or jacket work well for me . Not totally invisible but ya gotta know what to look for . BTW , I'm a kinda skinny guy at 150 or so and 5'7" .

Reply to
Snag

You going to trust your life to a POS?

.

Any favorites for a concealed carry pistol? A former gun dealer at work recommended getting an inexpensive gun because he said if you have to draw on someone, it is likely that the police will confiscate your weapon. He thought the Ruger 380 Auto would be good.

RogerN

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I used to carry a S&W 442 Airweight .38 +p with wadcutters. I don't have any guns anymore but I still teach CCW, In-home Defense, Out of home Defense, Basic Pistol, Metallic Cartridge and Shotshell Reloading. But, I don't have any guns!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

What would you have to give up, if you were a drivers ed instructor? Or, if you decided to teach sex ed, and reproductive responsibility? Or..... enquiring minds want to know!

.

I used to carry a S&W 442 Airweight .38 +p with wadcutters. I don't have any guns anymore but I still teach CCW, In-home Defense, Out of home Defense, Basic Pistol, Metallic Cartridge and Shotshell Reloading. But, I don't have any guns!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Whatever is politically incorrect and/or whatever the far, far leftists demand. The nail that sticks up gets pounded down! The leftists see nails everywhere!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

And constantly flatten their fingers with the hammers.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

This ain't Japan, either.

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Your reply assumes a lower priced gun is a POS, why?

Most of the time the worlds safest automobile, the worlds most reliable automobile, and the worlds most expensive automobile isn't the same automobile. Likewise the worlds best CCW gun is not necessarily the worlds most expensive CCW gun.

I have a Savage 22-250 that has never misfired even though it's a lower priced gun. One of the reasons it is lower priced is that it's not finished a pretty as a Winchester or Remington, but it shoots good, accurate, and so far 100% reliable in the ~9 years I've owned it.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Damn good observation!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I grew up with a Dad who said "you get about what you pay for".

.

Your reply assumes a lower priced gun is a POS, why?

Most of the time the worlds safest automobile, the worlds most reliable automobile, and the worlds most expensive automobile isn't the same automobile. Likewise the worlds best CCW gun is not necessarily the worlds most expensive CCW gun.

I have a Savage 22-250 that has never misfired even though it's a lower priced gun. One of the reasons it is lower priced is that it's not finished a pretty as a Winchester or Remington, but it shoots good, accurate, and so far 100% reliable in the ~9 years I've owned it.

RogerN

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

380 caliber is the smallest..smallest..reliable problem stopper. And then it will take mulitiple hits with a .380. 9mm is the smallest cartridge Id ever carry. Period. End program. Full stop.

And the vast majority of my carry guns all start with .4x

A good .357 Mag with a decent 125gr jhp is pretty good as well..but LOUD as hell.

Check out the Firestars in 9mm or .40

This is what I carry each and every day.

Reviews of "pocket" 9mms

The PF9 has a lot going for it..and its DAO

These guys are treating the weapon like a "range gun"

Quality with this arm has been spotty.

Now there are others...

(A womans review, quite good.)

Lots of reviews and lots of plus/minus comments on all of them.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Your statements are true...in most places. On the other hand..in your local...figure the odds.

Though price is the least concern. if you can afford a range of prices.

  1. Does the weapon fit your hand?
  2. Can you control it well?
  3. Can you shoot it accurately and quickly?
  4. Is the weapon build ruggedly for the conditions you will be carrying it in?
  5. Will the weapon last for many years? (if you are a sweater...will your body sweat damage/destroy a blued firearm? Then plastic or stainless steel might be better) Dont laugh..its far more common a problem than you would think it is.. . ; ; ; Way down the list...

  1. Can you comfortably carry it concealed throughout the day?

Im a big guy, not fat, not slender. Blocky. I can and have carried a full sized 1911 for years on and about my person, concealed. But its unhandy and not as easy to conceal as a smaller weapon. Same with wheelguns. I carried a Ruger Redhawk for a week while on a hunting trip and no one in the party knew I had it on. Shrug. They found out when I had to put down a hog with a head shot that another hunter had crippled but not killed. Thats not a small gun by any stretch of the imagination. But Ive carried weapons for years and know how best to do it.....for me and my body type. Shrug.

But seriously...again ...a .380 should be considered way way down around #174. 9mm at the smallest, .40 S&W should be the middle and .45ACP or 44 Special should be the top. No more cartridge than those are necessary for 2 legged varmints.

All of which are readily available in readily concealed sidearms.

Go to a range that rents pistols and shoot a few magazines though each one. Or go to a busy pistol range and ask to shoot the various pistols people are shooting. Simply tell them you are trying to find a weapon that fits properly. When you lift your hand...the sights should be already aligned..thats a good fit. Having to hunt for sights..will slow you down..sometimes a lot. Having it fit your hand while you are firing it is critical.

Fit, function...then form.

Pocket guns are NOT range guns. They are last resort weapons. But they should fit your hand properly, be reliable, easy to shoot, easy to reload and then..able to be carried concealed. That last may take some work..but its entirely doable.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

The Judge really sucks. And unless you have ever fired a 410/45 LC from a derringer...put it at the bottom of your list. Way way down. They kick like a son of a bitch and you only have 2 shots.

Nice wishful thinking, but while true on paper...it doesnt work out that way in the real world.

Shoot for center of mass and anchor the perp. Biggest target area, and easier to hit when both of you are moving. Hit him with something that will HURT him with each shot. Not just piss him off.

The whole idea is to put him down NOW..not after he has beat you to death with your empty gun.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner