Amazing Chinese forging video

I cannot stop watching this video, nothing short of amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r41dcYUvNLk

Clearly very smart people, forging with just forklifts and a huge drop hammer

I saw that yesterday, almost shared the link as well. It's a real ugly operation until they machine the thing down. You can see calipers at one point and the rest of the measuring seems to be with some sort of rod with markings of some sort. My question is how consistent are those flanges from the start of the shift to the end, or on a rainy day when they're slipping in mud or anything like that.
To hot for mud :-)
I suspect the rods were marked - hole smaller than this - and flange .....
The company doesn't want to pound out another or 50% for mistakes.
Wrought iron not pouring. And the base must be a beast into the ground! Not much bounce in the ground near by or anywhere.
I think "we" went into pouring the form and then machine out the final.
Martin
On 12/27/2016 12:34 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:

But cast is not as strong as forged, no?

On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 8:43:58 AM UTC-5, Ignoramus22750 wrote:

Cast is not as strong as forged.
I can still remember seeing anchor chain being drop forged in the navy shipyard in Boston in about 1954 or 1955.
Dan

http://www.cashenblades.com/images/articles/lowdown.html
On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 8:43:58 AM UTC-5, Ignoramus22750 wrote:

!
That piece is not iron. It's steel. Of course, if you're a nitpicker, steel is a type of iron. d8-) Big pieces of wrought iron are very rare and have been for around a century.
Cast iron is strong in compression -- stronger than forged (wrought) iron. But, except for ductile iron and malleable, more or less, it's weaker in te nsion and it's very brittle. You would not open-die forge any ductile or ma lleable iron to the degree of this example. It's not up to that much hot wo rking.
Again, though, that piece is steel. It's much stronger than wrought iron. T he forging will make it a bit stronger, but casting steel is an iffy propos ition, anyway.
--
Ed Huntress

> > Martin

Why is casting steel an iffy proposition? it's done all the time. My neighbour was building a miniature US steam locomotive and that apparently had a one piece cast steel frame which from memory would have been in full size some 60' to 80' long.
On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 4:21:48 PM UTC-5, David Billington wrote :

te:

nd!

l.

teel is a type of iron. d8-) Big pieces of wrought iron are very rare and h ave been for around a century.

on. But, except for ductile iron and malleable, more or less, it's weaker i n tension and it's very brittle. You would not open-die forge any ductile o r malleable iron to the degree of this example. It's not up to that much ho t working.

n. The forging will make it a bit stronger, but casting steel is an iffy pr oposition, anyway.

Higher casting temperatures and fairly low fluidity are limiting factors fo r steel castings. There are other issues that sometimes cause problems, suc h as shrinkage where section thicknesses change.
A piece like the one in the video clearly is a cutoff section of steel off of the first or second rolling stand; a custom order, probably, because it probably couldn't be made in a modern continuous-casting operation. It's to o thick.
--
Ed Huntress

If you saw the machine bay - there were a number of these.
I figure they are part of a bearing surface for Tree works or ground works.
Martin

On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 9:43:47 PM UTC-5, Martin Eastburn wrote:

s.

What's a Tree works?
--
Ed Huntress

I forgot - they cut down the trees up north.
They have been replanting forests here for 100 years.
Trees are taller than power poles. They are trimmed to be the 60' to 80' bark trimmed and coated in several chemicals.
Tree works use large machinery that are crane like with saws on the bottom and grippers that grab the base of the tree saw slice it off and then lean it over and spit it out with rollers while trimming the limbs off. Nice thing about Pine and hybrid pine - grow tall and straight.
Massive tree industry of machines that need to rotate in near 180 degrees and back toting tons in the process and back to work.
Like the ground work machines - dredgers and dozers... scrapers, and all - they have tree counterparts.
John Deer has two divisions of Tree Work machines. Then there is other companies as well. Used world wide.
Martin

On Thursday, December 29, 2016 at 11:01:32 PM UTC-5, Martin Eastburn wrote:

Aha.

I've seen some videos of that. It's one hell of an example of automated harvesting.

On 12/30/2016 12:28 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

As I posted, old man:
Eat shit and die, on your next trip there if doable.
http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/fullpage/chicago-gang-violence-numbers-17509042
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/gangs-guns-fuel-chicagos-summer-surge-violence/
http://www.gunnews.com/chicago-gun-laws/
Chicago, the windy city, has given us many things: Deep Dish Pizza, Chicago Hotdogs, bad sports teams, and lots of hot political air. They have also given us the strictest gun laws in the United States. We all know that guns are the root of all evil, right? Without guns the world would be such a better place, right? This type of misguided thinking is what has gotten Chicago to the point it is at today. The months of July and August saw 145 people shot in Chicago?many of them fatally. If I removed the name Chicago from this paragraph, it might sound like I?m quoting stats from Afghanistan or Egypt. You wouldn?t be surprised. But I?m talking about a major city in the heartland of America. This is a sad commentary on the state of crime in Chicago. Chicago is the land of Al Capone, Rod Blagojevich, Richard Daley and Barak Obama. It?s also where the 2nd Amendment has almost ceased to exist. Only recently has the legislature passed a concealed carry law, and that was because they were forced to because Illinois lost in a federal court of appeals in December of 2012. The court gave them 180 days to pass a law. The governor did his best to veto it, but the legislature won out and passed a law making Illinois the last state to have a concealed carry permit available to law abiding citizens. Even with this new law, which won?t go into effect until 2014, Mayor Emanuel is trying his best to place as many restrictions as possible on his serfs; I mean constituents. Here are some of the gems that Emanuel is proposing; no guns in schools, bars, restaurants, grocery stores, and movie theaters. Grocery stores? Isn?t it funny that we have armed guards in banks, on armored trucks, and even in some retail stores ? but heaven forbid we allow guns in schools. I must be an idiot ? I always thought that our children were what we value the most. But apparently, we don?t value them enough to protect them. This new law also requires that you also need to have a High School Diploma or GED to carry concealed. Yes, you read that correctly. Apparently, you need the state?s seal of approval on your education before you are allowed to exercise a constitutional right. Funny how they?re not comfortable applying that same standard to voting. Or free speech. Or procreating. We all know that making sure that law abiding citizens are unarmed will decrease the violent gun crime, that Santa will be bringing me my new Ferrari this year, and that if I wish hard enough ? I can fly. Really?!? Responsible gun owners are not out committing crimes; street thugs who don?t give a damn about gun laws are committing them. Do the politicians in power really think that the drug dealer who got ripped off is thinking, ?Gee I?d like to shoot that fellow who stole my money but I can?t legally get a gun so I better not do it. Besides carrying a gun concealed is against the law so I better not do that either!? You?d think with the already strict gun laws on the books criminals would be getting prosecuted, right? WRONG!! Chicago has a whopping 26% clearance rate for homicides in 2012. Let me put that another way; 74% of murderers in Chicago are roaming the streets ? having not been caught, and likely to kill again. Just so we all understand what a big number this really is ? Chicago had 507 homicides in 2012 and they are on pace to crush this number in 2013. Way to keep it classy Chicago! So back to my original question; how are those gun laws working? For those that want to see your 2nd Amendment rights disappear, they?re working exactly as intended. The everyday law abiding citizen who wants to protect himself and his family is prevented from doing that. Gun ownership becomes more difficult and a less exercised right. As a result, criminals roam the streets with impunity because they know that no one is carrying, and no one can defend themselves. The 2nd amendment was written so that we as Americans could defend ourselves our property and our families from invading forces, criminals, and even our own government. So while I applaud the Illinois legislature for doing what they were forced to do and passing a concealed carry law, I also call on the citizens of Illinois to take action and put more pressure on the legislature to protect your 2nd amendment rights.
On Friday, December 30, 2016 at 11:46:35 AM UTC-5, del gato wrote:

Wrong thread, Raton. Your hands must be shaking.
--
Ed Huntress

On 12/30/2016 10:04 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

[...]

It looks like they know what they are doing, removing last 1/2 inch or so

There's no question they've made a huge flange of some sort, but if I ordered 100 of them, would they vary at all? Would they even all be made of the same type of steel etc. That's where I have questions about cottage type industry.
I think it was mentioned that's a flange for a 48" pipe. At 100 PSI that's 90 tons of force trying to tear that thing apart. It has to be a sound part and not just "close enough". Forgings still need proper heat treatment, and from that video maybe they just bury it in dirt. It's not really clear.
On 12/28/2016 2:01 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote: ...

I not call that "cottage"; looks like pretty sizable operation and clearly this is far from the first of these this crew has made.
I'd guess there's a final set of more-or-less conventional machining operations undertaken before final use...

Didn't try to estimate thickness nor stresses, but I'd also bet the stress levels are pretty minimal as compared to actual yield values. IOW, there's likely quite a lot of margin for the end use.
Being as it's obvious they've been turning these out in large numbers by the practiced movements, if they weren't up to snuff in application initially, they certainly are by this point simply by experience if nothing else...

After examining links of this chain I'm glad I wasn't in the crew that hand-forged it: Splitting firewood is enough for me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_River_Chain
http://www.albanyinstitute.org/details/items/iron-link-from-the-great-chain-across-the-hudson-river.html
The early paddle-wheel steamboats required huge forged crankshafts that strained the limits of blacksmithing. http://www.makingthemodernworld.org.uk/icons_of_invention/technology/1820-1880/IC.047/
Forging a small one: