Amazing Chinese forging video

:)

Indeed, the early ingenuity and diligence tend to amaze us as we're so used to everything being manipulated by other than what to us now seems "brute force"...

Reply to
dpb

On 12/29/2016 8:38 AM, dpb wrote: ...

Actually, on further thought, perhaps that would've been easier than the installation??? :)

Reply to
dpb

I forgot - they cut down the trees up north.

They have been replanting forests here for 100 years.

Trees are taller than power poles. They are trimmed to be the 60' to

80' bark trimmed and coated in several chemicals.

Tree works use large machinery that are crane like with saws on the bottom and grippers that grab the base of the tree saw slice it off and then lean it over and spit it out with rollers while trimming the limbs off. Nice thing about Pine and hybrid pine - grow tall and straight.

Massive tree industry of machines that need to rotate in near 180 degrees and back toting tons in the process and back to work.

Like the ground work machines - dredgers and dozers... scrapers, and all

- they have tree counterparts.

John Deer has two divisions of Tree Work machines. Then there is other companies as well. Used world wide.

Mart> >> If you saw the machine bay - there were a number of these.

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Aha.

I've seen some videos of that. It's one hell of an example of automated harvesting.

Reply to
edhuntress2

On 12/30/2016 12:28 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

As I posted, old man:

Eat shit and die, on your next trip there if doable.

Chicago, the windy city, has given us many things: Deep Dish Pizza, Chicago Hotdogs, bad sports teams, and lots of hot political air. They have also given us the strictest gun laws in the United States. We all know that guns are the root of all evil, right? Without guns the world would be such a better place, right? This type of misguided thinking is what has gotten Chicago to the point it is at today. The months of July and August saw 145 people shot in Chicago?many of them fatally. If I removed the name Chicago from this paragraph, it might sound like I?m quoting stats from Afghanistan or Egypt. You wouldn?t be surprised. But I?m talking about a major city in the heartland of America. This is a sad commentary on the state of crime in Chicago. Chicago is the land of Al Capone, Rod Blagojevich, Richard Daley and Barak Obama. It?s also where the 2nd Amendment has almost ceased to exist. Only recently has the legislature passed a concealed carry law, and that was because they were forced to because Illinois lost in a federal court of appeals in December of 2012. The court gave them 180 days to pass a law. The governor did his best to veto it, but the legislature won out and passed a law making Illinois the last state to have a concealed carry permit available to law abiding citizens. Even with this new law, which won?t go into effect until 2014, Mayor Emanuel is trying his best to place as many restrictions as possible on his serfs; I mean constituents. Here are some of the gems that Emanuel is proposing; no guns in schools, bars, restaurants, grocery stores, and movie theaters. Grocery stores? Isn?t it funny that we have armed guards in banks, on armored trucks, and even in some retail stores ? but heaven forbid we allow guns in schools. I must be an idiot ? I always thought that our children were what we value the most. But apparently, we don?t value them enough to protect them. This new law also requires that you also need to have a High School Diploma or GED to carry concealed. Yes, you read that correctly. Apparently, you need the state?s seal of approval on your education before you are allowed to exercise a constitutional right. Funny how they?re not comfortable applying that same standard to voting. Or free speech. Or procreating. We all know that making sure that law abiding citizens are unarmed will decrease the violent gun crime, that Santa will be bringing me my new Ferrari this year, and that if I wish hard enough ? I can fly. Really?!? Responsible gun owners are not out committing crimes; street thugs who don?t give a damn about gun laws are committing them. Do the politicians in power really think that the drug dealer who got ripped off is thinking, ?Gee I?d like to shoot that fellow who stole my money but I can?t legally get a gun so I better not do it. Besides carrying a gun concealed is against the law so I better not do that either!? You?d think with the already strict gun laws on the books criminals would be getting prosecuted, right? WRONG!! Chicago has a whopping 26% clearance rate for homicides in 2012. Let me put that another way; 74% of murderers in Chicago are roaming the streets ? having not been caught, and likely to kill again. Just so we all understand what a big number this really is ? Chicago had 507 homicides in 2012 and they are on pace to crush this number in 2013. Way to keep it classy Chicago! So back to my original question; how are those gun laws working? For those that want to see your 2nd Amendment rights disappear, they?re working exactly as intended. The everyday law abiding citizen who wants to protect himself and his family is prevented from doing that. Gun ownership becomes more difficult and a less exercised right. As a result, criminals roam the streets with impunity because they know that no one is carrying, and no one can defend themselves. The 2nd amendment was written so that we as Americans could defend ourselves our property and our families from invading forces, criminals, and even our own government. So while I applaud the Illinois legislature for doing what they were forced to do and passing a concealed carry law, I also call on the citizens of Illinois to take action and put more pressure on the legislature to protect your 2nd amendment rights.

Reply to
del gato

Wrong thread, Raton. Your hands must be shaking.

Reply to
edhuntress2

On 12/30/2016 10:04 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

[...]

Notice when they're doing the 2nd and 3rd round of forging the flange. When the hammer strikes, it brings (what passes for) the set hammer -- the block of steel on a long stick -- down flush with the lip, never goes too far and crushes the lip.

We never see the hammer driver but I'd say he's hot stuff, lots of practice. Note that it's apparently a drop hammer, no powered stroke. The hammer driver has to raise the tup just enough, reckoning on the remaining heat at any stage, to get the blow just right.

Cool stuff, great teamwork.

Is there any reason to believe that the workpiece isn't just mild -- low carbon -- steel? No special hear treating required if it's not burned for forged too cold. I have a piece of oil rig pipe here that is, I think, supposed to be good to 6,000 PSI, seems to be made of kinda weird steel. 100 PSI is small potatoes.

Reply to
Mike Spencer

That's sort of my point there. What if anything is being controlled in that operation? The forging looks hot in some parts of the video and cool on others. Didn't see any tempstick action, but it is an edited video.

Skill of the team aside, it's still a real corny looking operation.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

If you saw the way they open-die-forged tool steel ingots (some 15 feet lon g and 2 feet in diameter) as recently as the '70s, you wouldn't see much di fference. They keep hammering that ingot until it won't hammer anymore. No templesticks, no temperature gaging at all. They just look at the color of the slag as it peels off.

I saw one of those in Chicago around 1977. The dynamics were the same, but the rotation of the work was automated.

Reply to
edhuntress2

So in other words, the video shown is at least 40 years behind the times.

Was the place you saw surrounded by muddy ruts, like in the video?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Reply to
edhuntress2

That's the state of large open-die forging operations all over the world. The only advance is in robotic, or otherwise automated, work rotation and positioning.

It was in downtown Chicago -- somewhere on the south side. I forget the company name but it was a major supplier of tool steels. The ingot I described was, IIRC, D2 steel.

As for mud huts -- not quite, but you wouldn't want to live there.

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Yes! Actually, my fading memory ran the two of them together. I've been to both mills, but the forging of that big tool steel ingot was at Finkl.

Reply to
edhuntress2

Finkl closed up their northside plant and moved to the southside. The whole site has been bulldozed flat and sold to a developer.

Back in the late 80's, they turned the area into a "Planned Manufacturing District" to protect it from residential encroachment, but no sooner did they do that, than they started cutting out chunks for retail shopping centers.

For nearly thirty years they have been chomping at the bit to slap housing on that area, looks like they'll finally get their wish.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

WGN news had a report about finkl, seems thier south side neighbors don't like them. The people near the plant are bitching about noise, smells, vibration and broken promises.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

Huh. I don't remember the area. I was there on a 4-day press junket put on by the American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI), and they bused us all arou nd Illinois and Indiana, from the coal mines in the south to the big primar y steel mills on the Lake Michigan shore.

The forging operation at Finkl was impressive as hell. I was writing about remelting for making the highest-quality steel at the time (electroslag and vacuum-arc remelting), so that's where I spent most of my time. But the bi g forging operation was a real eye-catcher.

The other eye-catcher was quenching a heat of coke. Did you ever see that d one? It blackened the sky for miles. Not long after, doing it without filte rs was outlawed in the US and most of Europe. People who live downwind of t hose operations in China and India die at an early age.

Reply to
edhuntress2

I hope we don't find out in 30 years that this is a poison hole that pollute the ground with chemicals and heavy metals......

Mart>> >>>> snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

-jsw