I saw an incredible steam forging hammer in Chicago

Totally shocking size of this hammer, and incredible operation.
https://www.machinerymoverschicago.com/blog/Huge-Steam-Forging-Hammer/

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 8:49:36 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus22513 wrote:

That looks like a hammer I saw at Finkl Steel in Chicago, 40 years ago. It was forging billets of tools steel, a bit larger than the piece in your video.
Finkl moved and has modernized its equipment, so it's probably not the same hammer. What company is that?
--
Ed Huntress

Damn, I miss Finkl. Their old plant used to be about a mile away from me. When ever I was jonesing for some heavy industry, I would run up to Finkltown and watch real men bend raw elements to their will. On a good day, the Finklmobile would roll across Cortland carrying a giant red hot billet of steel. From thirty feet away, the radiant heat through your windshield was like climbing inside a hot oven.
Paul K. DIckman
On Thursday, June 7, 2018 at 2:13:34 PM UTC-4, Paul K. Dickman wrote:

I stood on a catwalk maybe 40 feet away from one of those billets, and I had to turn away from the heat. That was a real "Giants of Industry" operation.
--
Ed Huntress

would roll across the street with a glowing chunk of steel, bigger than a refrigerator, slung under it.
The first time it happened, you would get out of the car to see if the heat blistered your paint.
Most days, the doors to their forging operations were wide open. I could stand on the sidewalk and watch 'em for hours.
Paul K. Dickman

Yes, it is amazing how people work there all day!
message

In the blacksmithing class we discussed how some people perceive what was an interesting hobby for us as a vision of Hell.
On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 19:49:29 -0500, Ignoramus22513 wrote:

WOW, had no idea such gear was still in use! What the heck were they making?
Jon

    Yeah, but there is something satisfying about just hitting it with a bigger hammer.
    I mean, a really, really bigger hammer. -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."

Area is what, 10' x 10'? What's the total force work out to? <chuckle>
On Fri, 8 Jun 2018 09:02:12 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The thing is, he doesn't know the difference, and that's what allowed him to show off <chuckle> by throwing in the gratuitous psi, and then confirm his bewilderment by repeating the claim. Wilkins or Ig could surely have done him the charity of setting him straight but apparently they prefer to watch him flounder. By now Wieber realizes he made another ludicrous blunder, but he still can't tell what it is despite all the hints. The "engineer" equivalent of a deer in the headlights. In the dull-knife analogy, he's a spoon. Maybe he can make it to spork if he lives to 200.

The highest pressure presses can fit in your hand: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_anvil_cell 640 GPa = 93,000,000 PSI
On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 21:23:04 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

You appear to be mistaken. Because that's only 46,500 tons psi, more than 20% less than Gunner's example. He says he does engineering every day https://groups.google.com/d/msg/talk.politics.guns/TkUYsVkji68/W18ojvVyFwAJ so he must be up on these things. Perhaps he could suggest somewhere for you to get some remedial training. Best to avoid the embarrassment of claiming some dinky thing has the highest pressure when we have it on good authority that much higher pressures are achieved on a warehouse-sized device.
BTW, does anybody know what they're doing with triple the pressure of the Earth's core, at a warehouse in California? Some kind of advanced cubic zirconia factory?
On 07/06/18 01:49, Ignoramus22513 wrote:

Reminded me of the Creusot Steam hammer in France which I read about recently in Model Engineer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creusot_steam_hammer .