Question about CCW?

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the big deal about ccw? In the recent discu ssion, there's been considerable talk of what kinds of guns are best concea led under what type of clothing.

I seriously don't get it.

If the objective in carrying a firearm is self-defense, wouldn't it be bett er to strap a big gun to your hip in plain sight and announce to the world, "Don't f*ck with me or you will be shot."? And if the objective is not sel f-defense, what is it?

It has long been my feeling that this is the one thing that cops have over the general public. They may be assholes, but they are assholes with guns o n their belts - in plain sight. If you don't cooperate with them, there may be conequences involving loud noises and lead projectiles.

So, what's the deal with wanting to conceal your weapons? What is the advan tage?

Reply to
rangerssuck

discussion, there's been considerable talk of what kinds of guns are best concealed under what type of clothing.

to strap a big gun to your hip in plain sight and announce to the world, "Don't f*ck with me or you will be shot."? And if the objective is not self-defense, what is it?

general public. They may be assholes, but they are assholes with guns on their belts - in plain sight. If you don't cooperate with them, there may be conequences involving loud noises and lead projectiles.

Forgive the off-topic post... But I believe it has a lot to do with the way you will be treated by those not wanting to attack you in some places.

For instance, here in NJ a gun on your hip says, "cop" or "DANGER!" and nothing really in between.

Imagine going to church or to a school to pick up your kids with a Dirty Harry 45 on your hip VS having a concealed whatever wherever.

the chances of being involved in a mass shooting are less than the chances of being struck by lightening. More likely, it will be a robbery, assault, etc. ...and in those cases, you often don't want the other person to know what you have on you because they will want to steal it / use it against you.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

discussion, there's been considerable talk of what kinds of guns are best concealed under what type of clothing.

to strap a big gun to your hip in plain sight and announce to the world, "Don't f*ck with me or you will be shot."? And if the objective is not self-defense, what is it?

the general public. They may be assholes, but they are assholes with guns on their belts - in plain sight. If you don't cooperate with them, there may be conequences involving loud noises and lead projectiles.

Correct. Having an exposed firearm simply gives the assailant reason to shoot you in the back before rifling through your pockets as your corpse twitches.

Gunner who has had 6 occasions to present his concealed weapon to assailants in the past 30 yrs, and no shots were fired but the attackers were thwarted each and every time.

  1. Lie
Gunner

discussion, there's been considerable talk of what kinds of guns are best c oncealed under what type of clothing.

better to strap a big gun to your hip in plain sight and announce to the w orld, "Don't f*ck with me or you will be shot."? And if the objective is no t self-defense, what is it?

over the general public. They may be assholes, but they are assholes with g uns on their belts - in plain sight. If you don't cooperate with them, ther e may be conequences involving loud noises and lead projectiles.

By "present", do you mean you actually drew the weapon and pointed it towar ds the assailant, or do you mean smomething more along the lines of lifting your shirt or opening your jacket so that they could see that there was a weapon within reach? If the former, why do you think they did not proceed t o shoot you while you were drawing your weapon? If the latter, why do you t hink they did not shoot you before you had a chance to do you harm?

It seems that if the assailant you referred to in the prior paragraph would have been willing to shoot you in the back because you were carrying an un concealed weapon, he'd be even more motivated to shoot you in the front aft er you had showed him your previously concealed gun. No?

I know how difficult it is to prove a negative, and that it is equally (or more) difficult to guess what would have happened, but are there any real s tatistics to back up the premise that one is safer with a concealed weapon than without one? How about with a concealed weapon versus an unconcealed w eapon?

I also understand what Joe said about how other people would react to a per son wearing a visible gun, but how do those people feel about the possibili ty that there may be one under your shirt or in your pocket? Living in Nort hern NJ as I do, this has not really been much of a factor in my life. It's not very likely that the average Joe around here (or in adjacent NY) is ca rrying a concealed weapon. I certainly have met my share of people who were scary enough without the thought that there might be a gun in their pocket , I doubt they would have been any less scary had I had a gun in mine.

All that said, and I really don't want to pull this even further off topic, I do wish it was legal to buy and own the larger sizes of pepper spray / m ace / tear gas in NJ. There are times when I would feel better having some non-lethal home protection device at my disposal.

Reply to
rangerssuck

[...]

Hornet Spray is even better than pepper spray, it is legal, doesn't look to be scary, and will temporarily blind the recipient.

Reply to
Cross-Slide

You should research this. Not true.

.

Hornet Spray is even better than pepper spray, it is legal, doesn't look to be scary, and will temporarily blind the recipient.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How about using a can of starting fluid & a lighter?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Please provide a few credible, online reports of the successful use.

.

I've been advocating Hornet Spray for YEARS! It's one of the best home defense items available! A big can has more "shots" than a bananna magazine. No holes in the wall and non-lethal...just wash the walls after you soak the intruder down.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Flame doesnt go far enough. Nor does it last long enough. No persistance.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Inside the house?!?

Reply to
rangerssuck

pseudo-tough braggart for stating Ive seen something awful happen?

You really are a wackjob ,you know. Really.

So what was your MOS? Which police agency did you work for?

Hummm?

Gunner RVN 71-73, FCSO, 76-84

Sua Sponte

  1. Lie
Gunner

For *always* having some "you can't top this" bit of bullshit handy.

You weren't a Ranger; you weren't in Vietnam. Cut the shit, buddy.

Reply to
Fred C. Dobbs

Cites?

Trot em out.

We are all waiting for your proof.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

No, the burden of proof is on you. Prove that you were a Ranger and were in Vietnam.

We've been waiting for years. You can't do it - you know you can't, we know you can't, and we know that you know you can't because it's bullshit.

Reply to
Fred C. Dobbs

Soak them first, then light them up.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Is your aim that bad?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Even if your aim is perfect, do you think some guy running around your house covered in flames is a good idea? You idiot.

Reply to
Fred C. Dobbs

What makes you think he'll be able to get past me & into the house? You idiot.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

By presumption, he was already inside the house. Go back and reread the thread, you f****it.

Reply to
Fred C. Dobbs

Yawn. You read it. it didn't say WHERE HE WAS IN THE HOUSE. You haven't seen my house. It has an outer door, a very small entry way and another locked door. Simply spray the perp as you kick his sorry ass out the first door. Then let him lay there where there is nothing combustible and light him up. Anyone who has to resort to childish terms like 'Fuckwit' are admiting defeat and that they don't have the ability to debate anyone.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell