Solidworks License transfer

We are looking at getting another seat of SW and I know of a company that is looking to end their use of their SW seat, does anybody know if the license can be transferred? Thanks!

Reply to
Roubaix Envy

No. Here it is straight from the license agreement. Don't be afraid to read it yourself.

  1. Other Restrictions on Use. This Agreement is your proof of license to exercise the rights granted herein and must be retained by you. Other than as permitted under the license grant in Article 1.A with respect to DWGeditor and in 1.B., you may not use any portion of the Software separately from or independently of the Software and other than for your normal business purposes and you may not provide access to or use of the Software to any third party; ...........consequently you may not sell, license, sublicense, *transfer*, assign, lease or rent (including via an application service provider (ASP) or timeshare arrangement) the Software or the license granted by this Agreement............... You may not modify or make works derivative of the Software and you may not analyze for purposes competitive to SolidWorks, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or otherwise attempt to discover the source code of the Software, except in accordance with Article 8 below, if applicable, as it contains trade secrets of SolidWorks and its licensors.

If you purchase the entire company with that seat I have heard cases where SolidWorks will grant transfer in that case. You need to be granted special permission though.

KM

Reply to
kmaren24

Special permission? Yeah right, if you have a sole proprietorship maybe but if a company is incorporated they are a seperate entity just like you and I. If by chance the single seat belongs to a corp and he could purchase the corp the licence would stay with the corp, it's the corp that changes ownership not the licence.

Reply to
rockstarwallyMYAPPENDIX

I guess what I am saying by special permission is that you would need and want to (so you get the updates mailed to the right place and other info......) register that purchased entitys seat with your companys name, and to make sure it wasn't an illegal transfer SolidWorks would ask for proof of the purcahse of the seperate entity to transfer that license in an approved way.

KM

Reply to
kmaren24