Solidworks World and SW 2009 News

Firstly, I'd like to personally thank everyone who posted SW world updates and info in their blogs. Ricky J, Matt P, Jason R, Anna, and anyone else I failed to mention. Thanks for all your efforts!

I was lucky enough to be able to attend in 2000 (New Orleans) and then again in 2006 (Vegas). I must say, not only was the sw information and sessions informative, the general sessions and sw community make going back to work that much more inspirational again. They certainly know how to put on a 3-4 day convention. I'm looking forward to the next time I'm able to attend.

Now to the part that is my favorite.... what are they doing for the next version, 2009 specifically?

I kept reading that there was a common theme to concentrate on performance and reliability and I applaud this approach to the new version. However, from what I've seen in your posts, where is the performance boost exactly?

This "Speedpak" feature for large assemblies (and I hate to say this....) seems like another half-baked feature that I'll never really use. That is, unless I'm not understanding it correctly. This just turns on or off more and more random parts in a large assembly to load or not load? I guess I'd like further input on this as I am hoping for the best.

Also, I read that the same large assembly was used to create a 3-view drawing. One in 2008 and the same one in 2009 side by side. 2008 finished in nearly 2 minutes and the 2009 in under 30 seconds. Now this is definitely impressive but I only have on question to this. I'm under the assumption that this speed increase is because 2009 is now utilizing 2-4 or even 8 cores to calculate drawing views. With this, am I to assume that if I have a single processor that I will never see this increase in performance? Again, I guess I need more info.

I don't mean to sound cynical but rather just hoping for a true performance increase on a "single level" processor. Now don't me wrong, I surely hope their development team is working hard to make more and more functions of the software multithreaded considering that's what mainstream cpu's and future cpu's are headed.

Who knows, maybe sw is doing exactly what the users have been asking for for a while now. "Less new functionality and more bug fixes!" just because it fits in the grand scheme of things for their software. And that's going through existing code and rewriting so it can be multithreaded to utilize all those dare I say sleeping cpu cores. So it would seem it gives us exactly what we want making us feel like we got what we want.... all the while it fits exactly into their software future. Either way it's great thing is what I'm getting at!

Great job once again SW for another great SW world. From what I read about in the blogs anyways!!!

Looking forward to any updates too on the new features!

Don V

Reply to
dvanzile3

Don,

All very good questions and all of us are hopeful that SW is true to what it says and does concentrate on the quality and performance of the software. It seems to be their focus when talking to people further down the chain of command.

We will have no idea on what/how performance improves in SW2009 until we are able to see it in the Beta program. Until then we are all just speculating.

I tend to be an optimist, so I am looking forward to a good SW2009 experience.

FWIW,

Anna

Reply to
Anna Wood

Anna,

I am also very much looking forward to SolidWorks 2009 from a users standpoint. From the standpoint of somebody that develops SolidWorks courses... I am looking forward to much. To me it looks like I have a lot of new topics to cover!!!

Al Whatmough

Inspirtech - Web-base SolidWorks training

albert.inspirtech

I think that more than anything else we would like to see quantitive results. I am sure that a few of the folks out there saw the Wildfire notation of 4.0 release. They state actual numbers that a user could validate on their own designs. This is a lot better than stating it goes faster and runs better. We would like to see something that can be qualified. iQ

Reply to
iQ

I'd be interested if SW runs benchmark programs against the two and what numbers are generated - something we can compare first hand.

Len

Reply to
lmar

They did run bench marks and displayed the numbers at SolidWorks World

2008. I am told that all the presentations will be made availble so when I get a copy I will let you know the result of those benchmarks.

Al Whatmough

- SolidWorks Training

Reply to
albert.inspirtech

Hi there, it is so rediculous to here you already speculate about all the benefits that SW 2009 will hopefully bring us. LOL

SW 2008 is still a useless POS, intolerable for dayly projects. It seems that you already gave up the hope for SW 2008.

For my point of view, the SW software engineers won´t get my absolution to work on next SW release until they get their shit fixed in SW 2008 first!

my 2 cents

cheers

Jojo

schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@q77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
JOJO

Yes, but have they done it on the drawing that I used at the basis for the comment Is 7:28 to long to load a drawing? posted elsewhere? You have to be very careful with SW claims to great speed increases because they frequently do a shell game with when and where the "big" regen is done.

TOP

Reply to
TOP