Son Of Boss, and Salary hijinks....

to Laz - with a smile -

'think like Zarathrustra, hate where you are, fight for better '

Is this from some New Age dumbed down version of the Gathas? Zarathustra's message is not some sort of 'self help, self-improvement diet manual' . I always though Zarathustra preached - Fight for better certainly, but better for the community and ones fellow man, not oneself.

The 2nd verse 11th Poem of the Gathas is a good read in the circumstances, where Zarathustra asks for good guidance from friends about his lack of material wealth. In the original - (google will provide an English translation)

vaeda tat ya ahmi mazda anaesho ma kamnafshva hyatca kamnana ahmi gerezoi toi a-it avaena ahura rafedhrem cagva hyat fryo fryai daidit axso vangheush asha ishtim manangho.

On a lighter note - something to cheer ourselves up _

READ NO FURTHER IF OF A SENSITIVE NATURE

Chorus: Give me that old-time religion, Give me that (clap) old-time religion, Give me that real old-time religion; It's good enough for me!

-----------------------------------

We will all bow down to Venus As we dance upon Mt. Xenos We will worship with our... voices And that's good enough for me!

Let us raise a toast to Bacchus, We will raise a royal ruckus, Then we'll lay us down and f*ck us And that's good enough for me!

We will venerate old Hermes With his staff entwined with wormies Warding off the nasty germies And that's good enough for me!

In the temple of Aphrodite The Priestess wears a see-through nightie She's a mighty righteous sightie, And she's good enough for me!

We will have a mighty orgy In the honor of Astarte It'll be a mighty party And it's good enough for me!

We will follow Zarathustra Zarathustra like we usta I'm a Zarathustra boosta! And that's good enough for me!

We will worship like the Druids, Dancing naked through the woo-ids, Drinking strange fermented fluids, And that's good enough for me!

Well, the Christians all are humming Cause they say their God is coming, Our God's come two times this evening, And the Goddess thirty-three!

Wiccan Verses: Our High Priestess ain't no virgin, Her big toes keep on divergin', In Great Rites she needs no urgin? But she's good enough for me!

Our High Priest thinks he is Conan, But he cannot keep a bone-on; He resorts to the Rite of Onan, But he's good enough for me!

Let's all go skyclad all together, Dance the Circle round the heather, Never mind the freezing weather, And that's good enough for me!

Oh they say its knife and chalice But we know its quim and phallus In the woods or in the palace And that's good enough for me!

In the face of Inquisition, We maintained an Opposition, And preserved the Old Tradition, And that's good enough for me!

We survived the conflagration And emerged with jubilation In a new reincarnation And that's good enough for me!

When the fundies say we're sinning I don't care, 'cause we are winning This is only the beginning And that's good enough for me!

In perfect love and trust, We shall rise up from the dust, And become the upper crust, And that's good enough for me!

Nothing like a bit of a mental work out before the day battling with the devil which I am sure lives in my copy Solidworks.

Regards

Jonathan Stedman

Reply to
jjs

[ To: All Employees From: Director, Administrative Services

Subject: Excessive AbsencesDue to the excessive number of absences from the office, the following rules and procedures will be put into effect as of this date:

SICKNESS: No excuse. We will no longer accept your doctor's statement as proof, as we believe that if you are able to go to the doctor YOU are able to come to work.

DEATH: (Other than your own) This is no excuse. There is nothing you can do for them, and we are sure that someone else with lesser position can attend to the arrangements. However, if the funeral can be held in the late afternoon, we will be glad to let you off one hour early, provided that your share of the work is ahead enough to keep the job going in your absence.

LEAVE OF ABSENCE: (Surgery) We are no longer allowing this practice. We wish to discourage any thoughts that you need an operation, as we believe as long as you are an employee here, you will need all of whatever you have and you should not consider having anything removed. We hired you as you are and to have anything removed would certainly make you less than we bargained for.

DEATH: (Your own) This will be accepted as an excuse but we would like a two week notice, as we feel it is your duty to train your successor.

ALSO: Entirely too much time is being spent in the restroom. In the future, we will follow the practice of going in alphabetical order. For instance, those whose names begin with "A" will go from 8 to 8:15, "B" will go from 8:15 to

8:30, and so on. If you are unable to go at your appointed time, it will be necessary to wait until the next day when your turn comes again.

Signed: The Management ]

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

There's a difference between being in a rut and being where you want to be. There's a difference between continuous immprovement and simply wanting more.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Here, companies and profit are regarded

While we're painting with broad brushes... Democrats seem to see business as a tax cash cow to fund their pet gubbermint projects.

Now somebody tell us what libertarians think.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Self esteem might actually be your key. Not the key to another job, but the key to getting out from under the thumb. Low self esteem is how people stay in situations where they are controlled, maybe abused. Like battered wives. They don't think they deserve better. It's just a lie from the controlling party. If that's the case, bug out of there. If you can do all that stuff, you must be valuable to someone out there smart enough to value experience over a degree. If your parents control you like that, bug out and find someone to help correct your view of yourself.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

They were the ones cutting spending and paying off the deficit. Business was doing fairly well. Consider current affairs.

For a political treat:

Cliff Huprich

Mike Grant:

We really ought to talk. Contact me, if you wish. Just change the "3" to a "4" in my email address.

I left my dad's business some years ago. It took an enlistment in the U.S. Navy to get me firmly out of reach. The enlistment led to opportunity, and ultimately a degree.

I am not trying to recruit you into the armed forces. I do recommend getting the FiretrUCK outta there, if only for a while. It will be good for everyone: you, your dad, his business.

I must say, the culture at my dad's business is quite different than this. He treats his employees quite well. Likewise, they are quite loyal to him. I had gone back to work for him from time to time, when I was in school or between jobs. Being the boss's kid, you have to work twice as hard to look half as good, even in the best of situations.

Reply to
TheTick

First off, remember he should have used his vacation days during his fathers funeral. Then there would be no issues. Sometimes people need to use there head before losing it.

Reply to
Rocko

Just so I'm clear on this, taking extra days from the employer is a big deal, giving them extra days back is not?

True enough but it does add up to 15.5 days a year, I doubt the employer would be so dismissive it were a 1/2 hour wasted and costing him 15.5 days per year.

I don't see how its relevant, maybe its different in the US, but most employers don't expect you to use vacation time to bury a parent.

True enough, I am of course taking this fellow at his word and since he commented that the boss told him that he was pleased with him directly his dedication or work ethic doesn't seem to be an issue.

Further to your point though, I have worked at places where employees come in on weekends, stay late etc just so the bosses see them "putting in extra time." Meanwhile they are surfing the net, screwing around with Photoshop etc. and once the boss goes home they are out the door like a shot.

Reply to
Freedom Elz

Yeah because nothing says "vacation" like burying a parent.

Sounds like you should have been born in the Dickens era.

Reply to
Freedom Elz

I recently experienced this one. I pointed out that SolidWorks was still rebuilding the whole time I was in there and they let me off the hook.

There was the addendum to this notice thast prunes would no longer be served in the lunch room.

Thanks guys. It is going better now but I think that is just an ecuse. Better is not getting yelled at in front of people and being told I don't work hard enough. It is still not motivating, very depressing and not rewarding I need to leave if not just to get more outside experience. I just left for my two week vacation which I appreciate and I think I am more appreciated now temporarily. My dad saw all of the things that couldnt be done without me and we do some contract work for Hewlett Packard and we couldn't do what they needed without me being their. So he wants to higher some good employees to relieve some of my duties. Hmm

Reply to
Mike Grant

Reply to
Rocko

This is facinating stuff ... Don't you guys in the USA have contracts of employment? All this stuff should be agreed and in writing before you ever started working with these companies. In Europe this is like a time warp going back to the Victorians. To accept these conditions and vacation entitlements you must be getting paid one hell of a lot of basic salary.

Roger (UK)

Reply to
Roger

CONTRACTS? Naw, man, that's a Europe thing & very unusual here. I saw that when I worked for a French company, but it was never offered to me. Them Frenchies protected their own, dumped the Americans when the economy tanked. Nah, not on this side of the pond, we're too "pro-business" for that silly nonsense. Churn'em & burn'em is how it works over here. But we (usually) get to make more money if you can survive the ups 'n' downs.

oh, that's funny. contracts in the US

I'm_Curly_Today

Reply to
Moe_Larry_Curly

"Using your head" isn't going to stop the death of parent, somethings are beyond one's control. Expecting an employee to use vacation time to bury a parent is draconian and assinine.

Also its the workers

Figure what out? Did you even read the orignal post?

It sounds like you come from

Not at all, unlike you, I'm not a sucker.

Just like employers ask their employees to give extra when the business is in trouble, it is not at all unreasonable for employees to ask for the same in situations like this. Jobs come and go, but you only have one family, most employers (and human beings) realise this.

I guess that hasn't dawned on your pre-industrial revolution mind yet, go back to sweeping chimneys.

Reply to
Freedom Elz
2 options I see are:

Pull a gypsy flip in the wherehouse and take them for everything they are worth.

Get a job with the EPA and shut them down cause you know where are the skeletons are buried

Respect

Reply to
cadishaq