Spring?

What's the easiest way to model a spring?
Thanks!

Model a winter and wait 3 months ;)
No "easy" way. I have a torsion spring with multiple positions at <http://www.esoxrepublic.com/models/ . I also have a barrel-shaped spring I intend to post someday.
ROTFLMAO!!!!
Muggs

Best to let you see examples rather than explain what you have to do with helix's....Download some of the many samples available at 3d Content central and dissect them using the rollback feature to see how they were created. I use the site more for dissecting and learning more than actually using the models in my assemblies.
BTW, another good resource I like is at www.leespring.com There you set your spring criteria and they have Solidworks native models that you can download.
Scott

Thanks. It's a bit more complicated that I thought......

The SW knowledge base used to have a good tutorial on helical sweeps. That would be one way.
I use mainly die springs. These are available for download from a variety of manufacturers.(Progressive, Danly, Lee?) In order to show it under compression, one way is to do a scale in only one axis. My spring library contains many different sized springs with configurations created for different compressions. Works for me-YMMV.
jk
dlevy wrote:

Depends on what kind of spring. Coil spring, leaf spring, belleville washer, wavey washer. If you go to the User Library under the 3D ContentCentral there are several different ones already modeled up
-
If you are looking to accurately design a spring for a specific purpose I'd highly recommend MITCALC. To use MITCALC you enter the design criteria the software will then create the spring in SolidWorks.
MITCALC has various other components such as Gearing / Belt / Chain / 2d and 3d Tolerancing / Connections / Beams / Shafts. Great value at US$250 lifetime or US$59 per year.
And no, I'm not on commission
John Layne www.solidengineering.co.nz