surface generated by sweep helical cut selection problem???

I have modeled a real M12 * 1.75 bolt. I have created the threads by a sweep helical cut by using the necessary profile of the thread. There is no problem at all by sw2003 on modelling a real threaded bolt.

But when it comes to use the model for an analysis by an other software, I need to select upper surfaces of the seperate ring like features of the thread, but sw creates them in such a way that they can only be selected as a whole surface. If u look at a threaded bolt, U can easily see that in reality they are all independent surfaces ( the upper surfaces of the thread) Splitting curve on them for splitting is nonsense , in nature they are splitted, but when it comes to selection , they are a whole. For try, I splitted a vertical line on them, it splitted the whole structure wrongly, u can select parts of surface, but when u select 2 of those parts some of on the upper ring while some is on the lower. U can not select 2nd or 3rd ring as a whole correctly.

How can I overcome that problem???

Reply to
cheetahon7

In your thread profile that you are sweeping, remove the tangency between the fillet at the root of the thread and the flank of the thread. This should give you a separate surface for the flank

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne