[ SURVEY ] What are (hourly) rates for CAD SERVICES ???

Hi !

What are hourly rates (in US) for CAD services::

- industrial design

- consumer goods design

- automotive design

- cad conversion ( from PAPER to CAD 2D )

- 3D modelling ( from PAPER / CAD 2D to CAD 3D )

???

For instance we take (on freelance basis):

- design ( [ Catia v5 and SolidWorks ] )

14-15 USD per hour

- 3D modelling ( from PAPER / CAD 2D to CAD 3D [ Catia v5 and SolidWorks ] )

11-12 USD per hour

- cad conversion ( from PAPER to CAD 2D [AutoCAD] )

9-10 USD per hour

Don't we take too few ? :)

Best Regards, Jerry Jacobs

Reply to
Jerry.J

The rest is just bs. 8~)

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Sorry, but I don't know what are you talking about :)

Best Regards, Jerry Jacobs

Reply to
Jerry Jacobs

I used to make 5 times that just to repair such crappy trans-Pacific work. Where's the bargain?

Reply to
That70sTick

You may be right, but it depends !

Best Regards, Jerry Jacobs

Reply to
Jerry Jacobs

Your rates make no sense to me. How can you even pay for the tools you are using at such low rates? Additionally, any competent designer or draftsman would expect to be paid more than the rates you are quoting.

Reply to
John Eric Voltin

I've seen temp jobs for students that paid rates like this. You'd be better off working at Menard's or Lowe's because you would get bennies of sorts.

Reply to
TOP

Yes, you are right - We must increase our rates !

Best Regards, Jerry Jacobs

Reply to
Jerry Jacobs

We are small group of engineers (freelancers) in Europe We work on three shifts, so we can afford tools.

Best Regards, Jerry Jacobs

Reply to
Jerry Jacobs

Amm at "9-10 USD per hour" you could offer fries with that. I have heard quite a bit on the internet so I don't mean to be sceptical but you wouldn't actualy be from India and possibly be using questionable software licences ?

I suspect if not, these are the people you will be in competion with. That is not to say that they can't offer quality work. I was considering gathering a few friends and setting up a small office doing just that. (With legit sw)

The professionality of some of these groups is amazing, and their prices too low. All we could offer is face to face, local experiance and language.

Don't know what to say, dis world isa chanin ...

Giorgis

Reply to
Giorgis

Typical rates in Central Texas for engineering firms start around $75/hour. Depending upon the nature of the work, they are often higher and occasionally lower. Big firms always charge at least $75/hour. I have seen cases exceeding $100/hour.

Working on three shifts is an interesting idea, but it sounds pretty difficult to organize such an effort unless you have plenty of work and each engineer is working on their own projects. Multiple people working on the same project at different times of the day would make communication and coordination a challenge.

Have you been successful with this approach? How long have you been doing this?

Reply to
John Eric Voltin

Q. How long have you been doing this?

A. Let me check my watch. ;~)

Reply to
jmather

He appears to be in Poland.

What do decent P20 injection molds start at these days in Poland?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

We work on three shifts, so we can afford tools.

Hope you can afford the flight.

Reply to
jmather

Hi!

Could you give some examples of such companies ?

Could you give some examples of such companies ?

I am moving to USA in February, 2006. I have checked salary rates on Monster - look:

- 19.23 USD /hour

- 17.00 USD /hour

- 30.00 USD /hour

This firms are thieves ! - they pay workers only 1/6 - 1/3 they get from client ! :)

Bye, dzej-dzej

Reply to
d¿ej-d¿ej

I've been independent for about five years. Otherwise, I have worked as an engineer for fifteen years.

Since you apparently doubt my response, what would you expect? Do you know engineering firms that charge less?

My company's standard rate is $65/hour and that's considered low.

Reply to
John Eric Voltin

Based upon the responses, I would imagine some people didn't quite understand my posting. The rates I am discussing are those charged by engineering firms to their clients. There are some freelance designers (typically not with engineering degrees) that charge somewhat less, but I have very limited exposure to them. I did recently hear about a freelance designer working out of his home and charging $40/hour. Another freelance designer that charges about $65/hour asked me how anyone could get by charging only $40/hour. $40/hour may sound like alot until you pay for an office, software, computers, taxes, etc.

If you work for one of these firms, I would anticipate being paid half or less of what they charge their clients. In the past, I worked for an engineering firm where they billed the client about $100/hour for my time and paid me $40/hour.

Reply to
John Eric Voltin

I agree with John. Some of us freelancers charge less than what he mentions as reasonable and to be expected only because:

1) We don't have the overhead of an office and don't need to pay workman's comp and unemployment, etc. for employees (i.e., no employees = no such overhead) AND/OR 2) We are in areas where work may be hard to get unless one appears to firms as being not much if any more expensive than hiring a contractor through an agency.

Otherwise $65 an hour should indeed be considered about as low as you can expect to find.

'Sporky'

Reply to
Sporkman

I have heard that GM has a building in india with 5000 UG licences and 15000 drafties/designers on three shifts. They do their own work and contract work out. I am sure they can charge very low rates, and by the time the money get's to the drafties it probably may end up at the $9-15/h or less

Giorgis

Reply to
Giorgis

According to a report, Payscale.com shows the lowest salary worldwide as small-town India at $1,800. p.a., or about 90 cents an hour.