Rates for CAD tutors.

Hello everyone.
I have recently been asked by a client of the firm that I work for if I would be willing to give him CAD lessons. He would like to learn the basics
just enough to be able to get simple ideas down of rooms/spaces (he is a real-estate agent so he some design and planning knowledge) mostly for himself. He has a copy of LT, but since his last exposure to CAD was a few years ago in school, it seems unfamiliar to him now. He hopes to do this in 2 or 3, hour and a half sessions. The thing is, I haven't a clue as to what a good rate would be to charge for such services. One site I found had rates of about $75 an hour for this level of knowledge (and up to 125), but that seemed a little high to me. Also, seeing as he is a frequent client with the firm I work for (in addition, I do photography work for him as well for his listings), I don't want to price him too high.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
how low are you willing to go? does the firm you work for allow you to do this or is it "under the table?" what's your firm's billable hourly rate? personally I would take my own wage ,then 1 1/2 times that. (it IS overtime) & round that up to the nearest 5 dollars. around $35 -$45 is fair IMO
Rob
Yeah, there is no problem doing this. Its on my own time, and im not producing architecture, so its of no issue to them. Heh, i really cant compare this to our billed rate, as we are high end residential, and it would work out to be way high. I think i can live within the $40 range. That is about what i estimated. Thanks.

overtime)
Why not think about what it'll be worth to them? If you charge them $30/hr, and you save them 10 hours of f***ing around, they break even if they pay the other guy $3/hr. If they pay him $10/hr.....you do the math.
I think you are low, but it depends on what *you* know too, doesn't it? For a knowledgeable tutor, $75 sounds reasonable to me.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.com
[...]

I swear I didn't send it three times three times three times.
You are concerned with pricing him too high for cad lessons while he is learning to take your work away from you and your firm?
perhaps if he saw what YOU can do with your full version, your expertise and your extensive array of shortcuts/routines he may simply bring more business to the firm instead.
I think we all have seen drawings done by those not qualified . . . . Let's face it, it can get real scary! Let him SELL real estate and leave it to you to prepare any plans required!
Now, if only I can get the pizza man down the street to teach my wife how to throw the pizza to get the real thin crust I like . . . .
Brian

basics
in
what
rates
the
his
Several years ago a wise man provide me with the following statement: "You will spend most of your career training your future competition".

few
that
Not the case. Read the original post again.

few
that
Let's see? You are a professional photographer specializing in weddings. Your neighbor George asks for photo lessons. You agree and he becomes relatively proficient. His daughter gets married and hires you for the event. He shoots many of his own pictures. In fact his are really good. The families buy fewer albums from you because George gave them pictures for free. So, you didn't lose out?

this
with
for
Not to bright, are you?

if
is
for
had
but
Guess not! Especially when swapping comments with someone who is obviously of superior mental prowess and knows everything.

the
(he
was
do
as
client
well
He has no intention of using this to generate business. An example he gave me was he wanted a way that he could dray up a furniture plan for his daughters bedroom. Its not as if he's trying start a drafting business. I suppose if a client wanted an idea on planning furnishings for their new home he might want to do the same of them. He has no intention of practicing architecture.

few
that

I charge 75 an hour with a minimum $75 charge if I am needed longer than 3 hours I lower the price to 35 per hour.

basics
few
in
what
rates
that
the
his
Huh? 2 hours @ $75/hr = 2 x $75 = $150 3 hours @ $35/hr = 3 x $35 = $105
???
I think you will fiind he means:-
2 hours @ $75/hr = 2 x $75 = $150 3 hours @ $75/hr = 3 x $75 = $225
4 hours = 3 @ $75/hr = 3 x $75 = $225 1 @ $35/hr = 1 x $35 = $ 35 -------- 4 Hours = 260 Thus 5 Hours = 295 6 Hours = 330 etc.
Alan (Cadalot)
On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 05:58:23 GMT, "Michael \(LS\)"

For the record for the group, we have agreed on a price of $45 an hour.
Thanks to all who offered their assistance.

basics
in
what
rates