SW 2008 Recommended reading...

Hi All,

I am new to solidworks and a previous inventor user for many years. Our company has declined training at this time so I am looking for some recommended reading. I would like to get suggestions first rather than just plop down a couple hundred bucks for books at random.

-Mark

Reply to
mechdesign2k4

I would start with the tutorials that are found in the 'help' section of solidworks..

I got the sw bible, it filled in some of the cracks for me..

you can also look into myigetit.com , I've heard their tutorials are pretty good, and at a decent price too.

Reply to
tnik

Hi Mark.

For you and every other new SolidWorks users, I would like to invite you to

I offer step by step instructions on many aspects of SolidWorks design and drafting. I am also always available to answer any and all questions you may have. If you haven't already take a look.

Regards,

Alex R. Ruiz The SolidWorks Geek

Reply to
The SolidWorks Geek

Mark,

I'll second the recommendation for Matt Lombard's "SolidWorks Bible". I like to follow this group and the SolidWorks Forum on their web site. There are other groups that are also good. With any luck some of the people who like them will pipe in.

I like the short tips I've seen from SolidProfessor. As I recall, the basic course from them on DVD is $250 or so. Maybe you can get your boss to spring for that. Personally I would be very nervous about a place that didn't want to send you to class.

Jerry Steiger

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

I find that "tutorials" teach me to do something that someone else wants to do, not what I want to do.

I printed relevant sections of the on-screen help. The order of presentation was not the way I would do it if I was writing a book, but it was much better than Planchard in identifying those features of Solidworks which will help me tackle the job I want to do. I found however that while it hints at what is possible, it is often short on specific instruction.

As a newbie, I want text only to start with, to help me plan my approach to the task. Mouse clicks come later.

I have looked at the "official" training syllabii and concluded that they are poor value for money because they fail to address what I want to know and cram too much into too little time.

I am just jumping in at the deep end.

Reply to
johnsuth

My approach has been to do the stuff in some old mechanical drafting books that I purchased at a thrift store and the tutorials. SolidWorks, fortunately for you, works almost the same as Inventor.

Bob

Reply to
<castlebravo242

I'll second that too, I've been an avid reader of theSWgeek.. written very clear, with pictures.. Alex does a great job.

There is alot of info out there. the solidworks website has a forum, there is cnczone.com forum that has a solidworks section, among others.

Reply to
tnik

" Personally I would be very nervous about a place that didn't want to send you to class."

When I bought SW 10 years ago the VAR told me that they didn't want to take one of their classes. Evidently I was asking too many questions that they could not answer and they didn't want me doing that in front of other customers. They told me I was too advanced and would be wasting my money. Needless to say, I had a rocky launch, but finally got things figured out.

jk

Reply to
John Kreutzberger

While the VAR might have been intimidated attending the training gets you the training manual(s) which are generally quite good and contain information not in help.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

you are trying to wind me up aren't you? ;o)

Reply to
neil