Switched "Close" and "HELP" button positions..?

Hey all,

Am I the only one who noticed that SW reversed the position of the "Close" and "Help" buttons in the 'What's Wrong' dialogue box during failed extrusions/fillets/sweeps?

I just installed '06 last weekend, and I'm finding it incredibly annoying that some programmer took the time to make a change that is adversely affecting productivity. Been a user since 1997, and NOW someone switched these positions?

I guess this tiny annoyance fits in with the common theme here that SW doesn't pay much attention to users or it's interface. There was a time when I RAVED about SW, and certainly helped them sell a few copies. No more.

Best Regards, C

Reply to
Carl Howarth

No, you're not the only one who noticed that. I kept wondering why the Help dialog kept popping up when I closed out of errors. At first I chalked it up to user clumsiness, but after a while realized it wasn't my clumsiness. Someone else I was talking to has complained about it as well. Anyone using SP1 see if that has been fixed?

Reply to
matt

I'm starting to think that there is some kind of conspiracy wherein a rival economy has bribed the swx programmers to insert numerous "enhancements" and "features" into each release which, as we know, mostly impede productivity. Meanwhile, an underground version, available to this rival economy, has the speed, stability, and UI that greatly resembles swx2001.

just a thought :) bill

Reply to
rider89

LOL Bill! I shot off a scathing email to SW, hinting at the same. I told them that I'd like to find the moron who made that switch, and switch the brake and clutch pedals in his car. Or just randomnly rearrange 5 keys in his keyboard.

Carl Howarth

That's funny.....

Remind's that several years ago on Mechanical Desktop V3 I think, there was a dialogue where if you selected the "?" icon on the dialogue header, and selected the "Help" button at the button of the dialgue, it gave you a message something like "This is the help button you idiot".

Reply to
Jason

One of my favorites is how they program the same mnemonic character for multiple selections in the same menu. In SW2003, RMB then d was dimension. In SW2004, Smart Dimension and More Dimensions both have the m underlined. So of course the command lowest on the list is the one with the highest priority (i.e. the one that the m responds to). So there is no way to keyboard access one of the most commonly used commands (Smart Dimension) from a RMB menu. Also, I believe that the Insert menu had 3 with the letter b at one point in time.

Then they assign a different mnemonic character for the same command depending on which menu the command appears on (Main Menu, RMB Graphics Area, or RMB Feature Tree). Component properties was the one that really annoyed me in SW2003, it wasn't the same anywhere. Then of course, each of these characters changes between major releases.

My most favorite of these is how the mnemonic character when RMB'ing a component part (SW2003 or SW2004, I forget which) when I want to open it...and the character changes depending on the filename...so there is no standard character so good luck reading that paragraph of a menu (every time) instead using the keyboard to quickly select the item you want.

Why do I look for and use the mnemonics...comes from using computers before the mouse was invented. I guess old habits are hard to forget...BUT it is MUCH faster than mousing once you have the keystrokes memorized.

Anyway, I have stopped looking at SW's mnemonics and have everything programmed in my keyboard or use a macro to call them. This way I am in complete control no matter what they choose to dictate I should be using...at least until they take that functionality away :)

That's my rant for the day :^), Ken

Reply to
Tin Man

It was nice to get that email Carl. Really brightened my day.

Reply to
Drew

Hello Drew,

If you were, in fact, the recipient of my frustration, what was the last comment in the email? If you had it, you'll see that my frustration was directed towards the programmer AND someone else.

How did this thing get released ? No internal users noticed something different about that dialog? When you've been using SW as long as I have, the positions of those buttons is more than automatic. After hitting the correct position (and incorrect button) 6 times in a row, I was ready to strangle someone.

Again, if you were the brunt of my frustration, I apologize. But the fact stands that this little change was a huge mistake to release.

Regards, Carl

Reply to
Carl Howarth