Thread Cutting in Solidworks

I am fairly new to Solidworks, and for some reason I am not able to grasp the fundamentals of thread cutting as contained in the Solidworks help files or any literature from the Net that I have seen. I have an assignment whereby I must make models of some fairly large threads, both mail and female, on stainless material, and the thread geometry must be to American standards. If someone could help me out on this somehow I am not against reimbursement for time spent. I look forward to someone responding to this. Ben

Reply to
ben-halpin

You can search the group for related threads, as there've been a couple recent ones. However, unless you absolutely must model the threads, its better to use cosmetic threads and callouts. Modeled threads consume vast system resources.

Brian Hokanson Starting Line Products

Reply to
Brian

You have seen the blurb in Help file areas about:

  1. Create the Helix
  2. Create the Thread form Sketch
  3. Sweep the Thread form along the Helix, but there are some issues easy to miss:

A. The Thread form Sketch must be at the start of the Helix (likely on the same plane).

B. When putting a thread on a hole or rod, it is sometimes needed to make the Thread Form Sketch go further into the rod or cylinder wall such that no discontinuities occur which result in 'slivers' or non- merged thread sweep features which easily fail.

C. Making actual threads (rather than cosmetic) consumes a tremendous amount of graphics card processing to manipulate the image on screen, so even if you need it sometimes, you might want to have that as only one configuration, and make another config just for common display use.

D. If you actually MUST create a ground thread end on an internal or external thread, like in a thread for a mold's cavities, then it gets tricky. You can't put the end of the thread in on a rectilinear plane. You need to start from the initial sketch on a plane inclined at the helix angle, otherwise the end of the thread you create with a Revolve will not be "in line" with the thread, and it will look like amateur hour at the grade school play.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

I really and truly thank you Gentlemen for your remarks, but in truth you are way over my head with the terminology. The sad truth about this whole mess is that I should not have been given this assignment given the experience that I have. Something else will have to be done. Thank you all again, Ben Halpin

Reply to
ben-halpin

Ben, Don't give up just yet. What you are trying to learn is not as difficult as you might think. Believe me, there is no one on this forum that is any more lotech than I am, and after a lot of help by some fine people here on this Forum, and some dilligence, I was able to understand it. My formal training is limited as well. E-mail me and I will send you the numbers and password that you will need to reach my Dump Site, where I have put a video/audio tutorial for you to download. All you will need for this is an FTP Client , and a Broadband connection. I think it is 16 MGB in size. It will explain the threading procedure step by step for you. I made it in the avi format. With regards to accurately cutting threads to ASE standards, it would be in your best interest to get a copy of Machinery's Handbook, published by the Industrial Press. This has been the "Bible" reference book for Engineers and Tool and Die Makers, since the start of the Industrial Revolutioin. Every bit of information regarding exacting geometry and it's dimensions, of any machine or tool part will be found in it. All that would remain would be for you to transfer the dimensions that you will obtain from age-old formulae found in the Handbook and substitute them in Solidworks. I believe the Machinery's Handbook is offered in a DVD format now as well. Good luck,

G. De Angelis De Angelis Tool Valhalla Grafix

E-Mail: snipped-for-privacy@deangelistool.com

Reply to
G. De Angelis