Weld bead on flush faces of tubing joint

I'm attempting to put a weld bead on a simple tubing weldment I've created in SW2004. Imagine tubing in a "T" configuration...one butts into the other. I want the weld bead on each outside face at the joint. Problem is, the tubing has a fillet on each corner, so there's no true intersection on the outside face. Know what I mean? I can put a weld on the 'inside corners' where the tubes meet because there is an intersection there.

Any ideas on how to get a weld on the outside faces? Essentially the weld would fill the gap created by the radius, but I don't care about that... I just need a weld feature there, whatever it looks like.

Thanks in advance for the help...

Brian

Reply to
Brian Mears

The next version of weldments in SW will be able to place a bead on curved surfaces. Right now, you out of luck.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

I can accept that. How did you know about the next version (and do you have any idea when it might be out)?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Mears

I went to a Reps demo on weldments and I specifically asked about the inability of weld beads on curved surfaces. They said it couldn't be done yet and SW would have it working soon.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

OK, explain to the rest of us how you accomplished this.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

So, this was not accomplished using the new weldment functionality of SW2004?

Reply to
Keith Streich

guess my news server is dropping the entire message if an attachment is detected

Reply to
kenneth b

Yes and no. No, you are right, you cant currently use the weldment tools provided ,but you can make use of multibodies to make suitable 'substitutes'-(one possible example I gave). As far as I can tell SW are just making use of some routines and multibodies anyway. Yes you are picking up on path,trim and cut list functions as per usual for the rest of your work. You have the option or not to add bodies to the cut list so they wont show there and you can suppress or hide them if you need to just see your trimmed pieces. Apply the weldment texture to the faces and a symbol and they look like the real business. I don't know if this would meet Brian's requirements to have things looking correct but it might.

Reply to
neil

if that wasn't clear- the tubes were created and trimmed with weldment tools. I substituted for the weld bead that SW couldn't do by making a suitable body of my own. the tubes remain whole but hidden by it. the body has a cosmetic job to make it appear as a regular SW weld. cheers

Reply to
neil

Thanks for your clarification. Looks good! Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich