Welding of pipes

I want to show welded pipes in assembly. It seems that in SW one has to draw the welding bead as part and show it in the assembly with proper mating. Am I following the correct method? . Is there any other simple method?

Reply to
ktc

SW has never handled welds well in real world situations. First SW added weld functionality to assemblies and in this situation it would create a "weld bead" for you and add it as a component in the assembly. However, it did not handle gaps which are frequently necessary when providing for fitup and warpage control. It also did not handle even slightly complex weld scenarios. And there was the issue of revision control and naming of the automatically created bead parts. With PDM that is a real big issue. I will have to admit that I have explored this functionality since SW made it possible to keep parts within the assembly, but my PDM system wouldn't allow that in any event.

Then SW added weld functionality to parts. Although a weldment could be created very quickly there seems to be a lack of ability to create the gaps necessary in the real world.

In either case SW would have problems with welds involving plate fabrications that had plates that came together at skewed angles, something we did frequently.

The long and short is that I don't make an effort to model the weld bead unless there is some special reason like a detailed FEA analysis or for an illustration. This is simply due to CAD limitation. I just put the callouts in the print.

TOP

Reply to
TOP