What is the most comfortable mouse?

I use a Microsoft intellimouse explorer and my index and middle finger hurt in the position required for this mouse. I am wondering if someone uses a
trackball or other type of ergonomic mouse. I have seen that 3M has an ergonomic mouse and a few other companies.
Thanks, Mike Grant O'Ryan Industries

hurt
Hi Mike
I have the same problem, if I use a mouse shaped mouse, my middle, ring and little finger hurt. For the last three years I have been using the 3M ergomouse and have no problem with that. I have just replaced it with an optical version. I thoroughly recommend it to anyone. It takes a bit of getting used to, but after that you will never want to go back.
Hope this helps
regards
Rick Lussi
I use (and collect at garage sales when I can find them) the early (original?) Intellimouse, with the middle wheel with the middle button built into the wheel.
I love the shape, and like I said, I pick them up whenever I can.
Muggs

hurt
One word! Trackball! Once you get used to them, you wonder why you didn't switch over long ago.
I use a finger scrolling ball vs. a thumb ball. Bigger the ball, the better also.
I use two different models, Logitech's Trackman Marble FX (no longer available, I believe it's a wireless version now) and a Microsoft's Trackball Explorer. I prefer Microsoft's because of the wheel and the drivers work a little better in CAD packages. The Trackball Explorer can also purchased for less than $50, here's a link http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productlist.aspx?type=Trackball .
Just my 2
Keith

hurt
I think I am going to get the Trackball just because of the availability, I am going to go see how they feel.

I use a Trackball Explorer too. I would like to find an ambidextrous optical trackball with a larger ball.
I also use a digitizing pad for some tasks. I run the stylus with my right hand and click with the trackball buttons in my left hand.

--
John Kimmel

girls = time x money
John Kimmel wrote:

I use the Trackman Wheel version, where you use your thumb to control movement. It took some getting used to, but I find it's much easier on the wrist. You can rest your hand on the desk so there's no strain. I was getting carpal tunnel before, but the Trackman Wheel cured it. I set it at the slowest basic speed with the highest accelleration for accuracy and gross movement.
Kensington Expert Mouse trackball. Biliard-ball size, ambidextrous buttons. I've used lots of pointing devices, this is one I always come back to, along with the Wacom 4x5 graphics pad.
Several versions: http://www.kensington.com/html/1436.html
Richard _______________

I actually left the Large Trackballs (ala Kensington) a long time back because they put my hand in a funny position which eventually hurt, and it was bulky as all hell.
I tried smaller trackballs and ho hum.
Then I tried a succession of 3 button mice which are "ergonomic" and I found one which fits my hand well, but it does raise the hand up.
Then I bought a new laptop with BlueTooth and decided I wanted a Really small mouse and bought the smallest BlueTooth mouse I could find so it didn't disrupt carrying things in my laptop bag or pocket. AND, I found one that has some unusual effects for me.
RadTech.com sells the BT500 BlueTooth mouse with 2 buttons (damn) and a scroll wheel. If you have large hands you can completely hide this mouse in your closed hand! What is more, the BT500 mouse becomes something for the fingers now, and not the rest of the hand. The palm of the hand rests naturally on your desk surface and the fingers do the walkin'...with fast tracking I rarely have to lift the mouse and rarely move my wrist on the table (except to type).
What the RadTech taught me is that we may be on the verge of seeing new miniaturized, but powerful input devices. We may see a "finger" mouse which you use on the tip of each finger (or however many you want to use) and do all operations with a minimum of equipment and effect on the hand, fingers and arm.
Bo
So big balls are better?
Respect

My wife is the only one to complain!
Keith
PS She hates the trackball also!

uses a

One that's just kicking back, eating a big hunk of cheese? ;-)

hurt
Lol, yep.