Recommendations for CAD mouse

Hi All:

Our IT guys are partial to a mouse which doesn't work worth beans in SolidWorks.

ALL of our computers came with a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer model

1004. This mouse has the 4-way pan built into the scroller. This is a big problem because when you are using the scroller as a button for rotate/pan/zoom if the button goes a little bit left or right it stops working completely. There doesn't seem to be a way to disable it.

As a result, most of the users here under my command use SWX like retards. Literally fumbling around because of this Microsoft "improvement". I've personally solved the issue by using my own mouse and of course I use a spacemouse anyway so it's no big deal, but we need every chance to be efficient here.

So what do you use? No crazy mice please, just normal mice which work well with SWX. I'm not sure if the IT guys are partial to Microsoft mice but I looked at a few others and I'm wondering if anyone has tried them:

MS Laser Mouse 6000

Huh, I guess that's it. All their other fine-looking mice are 4 way.

Todd

Reply to
TODD

We use an older wheelmouse optical microsoft mouse that works fine, and is ambidextrous.

Haven't had any repetitive stress issues in all the time using it over three years.

You can find them online for $10.99

--Matt Schroeder

TODD wrote:

Reply to
Matt Schroeder

Trackball, trackball, trackball. Once you go track, you never go back!

Reply to
Keith Streich

Ahh no - hate them - much better control with the old Logitech optical wheel mouse. Plain and simple. No offense intended, by the way. :-)

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Agreed! I use a Logitech "Cordless Click" optical mouse. It's the only thing that will work on my wood desk as I refuse to use a mouse pad. I just bought a 2nd one on EBay for $15.00 USD.

Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

My choice is...... Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 ( yes it does have the tilt wheel ). But I only use the wheel for zoom in / out "autoscroll" (not as a button), too hard to control. Instead I use the thumb button set to "autoscrol"l so that I "grab" and tumble the model with the thumb button. Works just fab for me. BTW any mouse with programmable thumb button can do the same.

Reply to
whynotdesign3d

Intellimouse Optical USB

4 Buttons - simple design and thumb buttons can be assigned with custom keystroke I use ENTER on left button and Open (CTR-O) on right one. Cheap - Saves a lot of clicking. I have tried numerous new models and went back to this one. Note: You need to use Intellimouse 4.1 software to work with SW

Elmar

Wayne Tiffany wrote:

Reply to
Elmo

PS It's gotta be a finger controlled ball. Such as

I've have carpel tunnel in both hands, since the trackball and spaceball, no pain and I feel like Captain Kirk.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

I had the same unpleasant surprise. Been using Logitech MX500 w/o any problems. Only downside is the cord. Just make sure the mouse you get does not have the right/left tilt, otherwise you lose view/model rotation.

Reply to
arif

I had the same unpleasant surprise. Been using Logitech MX500 w/o any problems. Only downside is the cord. Just make sure the mouse you get does not have the right/left tilt, otherwise you lose view/model rotation.

Reply to
arif

I was wondering the other day if all these new 'ultra' precise laser mice would help with the overly fussy way sw has of forcing extremly accurate clicks when dimensioning a drawing. If anyone has tried any of these I would like to hear about your experience.

Thanks,

Zander

arif wrote:

Reply to
Zander

I am using the Logitech 1000 laser mouse. Three extra buttons on the thumb side (I have and assigned to them), no cord, battery loading in docking station at night, no mouse pad needed. I like this mouse!

Wim

"TODD" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Wim

AND...

If you want a truly small mouse for some good reason, like you want minimal mass under the hand &/or you also want to use it with your laptop, then look at:

I thought I would use it only when 'outside', but found it unusually comfortable and effective on the desktop.

It is obviously not a super whing ding Spaceball or whatever, but it does all the right stuff without needing any software or wires. It just works.

Bo

Wim wrote:

Reply to
Bo

A little dried chewing gum should fix the tilt problem. Har har.

I use the mouse of a Wacom Intuos 3 tablet in absolute mode. It's a 5- button wheel mouse that's cordless (no batteries), can't get dirty enough to skip, and it always goes to the same place when you put the mouse in the same place.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Yeah, that's what I'm saying! They wrecked the mouse with that stupid "tilt a wheel" for no good reason. Everyone here uses SWX inefficiently because the company-supplied equipment sucks.

I do think that trackballs have their place, but I won't encourage them. Not as a company-supplied item, and I don't like them because when I go to someone's computer to help them out I can't drive!

If we had alot of money though, I would recommend the spacemouse. They are awesome and don't require you to do anything crazy with the mouse.

BTW, I think it's a good idea to have a few different-shaped mice around. Changing from time to time seems to reduce the fatique. For Example, I'm using my 10 year old palm-sized logitech (I'm most of you remember them shipping with HP and dell systems over the years) with no scroller, but it's comfy and a nice change sometimes.

Thanks for your input. I'm not even sure the guys give a shit, because the Microsuck mouse in question is comfortable, ya just can't use it with SWX. So I'm going to request replacement.

out

Reply to
TODD

My choice has been a Logitech trackball (thumb) on the right, Razer Diamondback gaming mouse on the left, and lots of keyboard shortcuts. My next trackball will be finger control, just for a change. It's worth getting your own controls if the company won't spring for it and someday I'll spend money on a spaceball type control. The other SW user at work uses a 2-button mouse, circa 1995, and it's a real pita when he asks me to come over and show him how to cut a hole in sheet metal. To each his own.

Diego

Reply to
Diego

Left/Rightr tilt is good option. Just make it work as middle button and use it like that. It is lighter to use than normal middle button and you don't need to take your finger away from left button when rotating. I never anymore buy a mouse for sw without tilt.

Vote for MX610. This mouse has also good thumb buttons for for instance zoom to selection and shift.