Info on (non-agilent?) optical mouse sensor??

Hrmm. Both of the optical mice (one wireless, one wired) I've taken apart recently did NOT appear to have an agilent chip in them (agilent doesn't seem to have any chips like this one...*sigh*).

Instead, they have a 44 pin surface mount IC, in a (completely) clear epoxy/plastic casing, with NO markings of any kind on it...It's pretty...but largely useless, since I haven't been able to find any kind of a datasheet for it. It appears to have a pretty large imaging area, which is totally visible once you take the black ABS shield off of the chip.

Has anyone seen or heard anything about this chip? Both of them were MS optical mice (The one I still have a case for is a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical USB and PS/2 mouse (which had a button sporadically failing), the other was a wireless MS optical mouse that lost connection between the hardware, and the internal (cheap) antenna)

-Alex

Reply to
Alex Wisnieski

Can it be a ST VV 5351 chip? see

At the front there is a dark square, a 32x32 image sensor and much bigger area with lighter square, the processor for an example. I do not have a datasheet. but I would be interested in at least gnd, vcc, clock and data lines if you can reconstruct that from your dead mice.

Wim

Reply to
Wim Ton

I don't have info on this chip, but I was able to get five Agilent chips from Mouser.

-- D. Jay Newman

Reply to
D. Jay Newman

I don't think anyone will ever find any info on this chip -

It is the VV5351, but it was a collaborative effort, between Microsoft and STMicroelectronics. *sigh*. Heres the page, if you want to read about it -

I think it's likely that this chip is designed only for USB/serial mouse functions, and I doubt that the actual image is available for transport off the chip.

I've got a tight budget at the moment, which needs to go towards getting better motors. This was just a "Gee...I've got it, I wonder if I could do anything with it" kind of thing.

-Alex

D. Jay Newman wrote:

Reply to
Alex Wisnieski

That URL will give you the lowdown on the design of the chip. Since it was co-developed with Microsoft, you can bet they're not going to allow ST to ever release datasheets.

I also think that this chip would be unsuitable for image capturing...MS has no need to transport the image off of the chip, and I think it's likely that this feature is not included.

I can tell you the ceramic resonator attachs to pins 28 and 29 (if you consider PIN 1 as first pin on the top row, with chip held with imaging area UP). Everything else is too complicated for me to follow (lots of components, lots of silkscreen...sorry).

This is the ONLY chip in the entire damn mouse. Everything goes through this chip - button presses, scrolling the wheel, etc. It's likely this chip can't be used for anything else. =(

Wim T>

Reply to
Alex Wisnieski

You do not need to take them apart to tell.

The agilent will have the agilent logo near the lens. No Microsoft mice I have seen lately are Agilent.

Reply to
Blueeyedpop