Where Used Custom Property?

I was wondering if there is a custom property for "where used". I would like a custom property field on the drawing that will get populated on a PDM check in operation. Similar to how the revision block gets tweaked. Any API folks in here have a quick solution to this?

Hacksaw

Reply to
Hacksaw

Curious.

The PDM is already tracking where used, Correct? When the part or assembly is released back to the PDM the custom property of the part gets updated with the current PDM "Where Used" Status?

What is the desired use of this.

If you just want a quick way of checking where a part is used, and it is already tracked by the pdm you could probably query the PDM through API from SW. I currently query our MRP system from the SW interface through API for things like Material number and description, I have plans to add (when I get a chance) BOM and Where Used(according to MRP won't always match the models because we don't have models for all of our assemblier and there are a few thousand still in AutoCAD without any models.

Reply to
CS

Corey, My original intent/application was to give the reader of the drawing an indicator of the next assembly the parts are going to be used on. Furthermore, in the event of a user deploying a shared file (common part) I want the checker to know when/where parts from other projects are being used. We are a prototype R&D house and there is a lot of sharing of common files across a lot of projects. Just thought it would be handy reference for the reader/checker of the drawings. Incidentally, we manually populate these "USED ON" fields now on the drawings.

Hacksaw

Reply to
Hacksaw

I see, very good explaination, it really helps to know what you are looking for.

More questions.

What PDM system? Does it have record of Where Used? I haven't had opportunity to work directly with PDM so forgive me if that is a silly question.

Corey

Reply to
CS

PDMWorks within Solidworks.... It does have "Where Used" capabilities . I just need them to port to a SW drawing during a check in operation.

Reply to
Hacksaw

I don't personally know of a solution. If no one else comes up with one I could write one for a fee. I have access to the PDM Works API and help documentation. Let me know

Look Above equals Hotmail and remove all spaces

corey scheich @ Look Above dot com

Reply to
CS

Let me know if you write this, I will purchase a copy of the code.

Reply to
BEN EADIE

Hey, one more thing if you can pull the where used can you pull the quantity of the individual part in the top level assembly to show in the drawing of the part would be awsome.

i.e. part 'xzy01.sldprt' is used 15 times in 3 sub assemblies by the time we get to the top level assembly there are a total of 45 'xyz01.sldpart' parts, so in the drawing of the 'xyz01.sldprt' part or the 'xyz01.slddrw' I would like to have a feild say 45 need to be made.

Cheers Ben

Reply to
BEN EADIE

I will definitely look into it.