CAM works vs Master CAM

Just gathering up some info on both packages, and I just wanted to hear soem feed back from you guys about either package. I lean towards CAM works if only because it is intergrated into SW. That said, I am definateky open to hearing what ever expereince you all have had with either.

T.I.A.

Reply to
Arthur

Arthur,

What type of stuff are you going to do, one-off prototypes, production, surfacing, multi axis ????

Mark

Reply to
MM

Hey Mark, We do lots of table ware products. Plates, bowls, vases. Nothing too complicated overall.

Reply to
Arthur

Arthur,

OK, still didn't really answer my question though.

Are you talking about making molds and patterns ??? My impression of Camworks was that it's strong suit is production 2-1/2 axis mechanical parts. You can't really do much with it right out of the box. It needs some pretty serious customization and set up. I haven't heard of anyone doing serious surfacing/mold making with it. I checked it out about 2 or three years ago. From what I understand, it hasen't made much progress.

Mastercam is like the Swiss army knife of CAM programs, I've used it for about 17 years. You can program anything with it. Most of the supplied post processors (there are hundreds) work right out of the box. The solids module is Parasolid based so data compatibility is a non-issue. I think the new version, Mastercam X, will have associativity with Solidworks models.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM