WIRE MESH GUARDS

Hi,

Is there an easy way to make wire mesh guards in SW2005?. Or do you have to model ever wire in the mesh.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
JASON LONGLEY

Depending on the shape, you could create one wire, then pattern it. Then create another and pattern it. We used this method to create a rectangular wire mesh basket. It was pretty easy and came out exactley how we wanted. If you want, I could e-mail you the part.

Let me know. Richard

Reply to
Richard Charney

Yeah, would be nice if we could convert or thicken curves into wires or tubes, wouldn't it!? Otherwise, it's a laborious process. You'll have to submit a enhancement request like all the others because SW Corp has to be told or some other competing software has to do it so they can copy and follow...

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

I have a similar issue with expanded metal.

It would be nice to apply a hatch to a surface. Appling a texture to a surface will be shown when the drawing is created. By Appling the hatch to a surface, this would be transferred from sub-assembly to sub-assembly to top level assembly. Just one of my little wishes!

Keith

PS Solidworks supports the hatch pattern definitions in ACAD.pat and Line definitions in ACAD.lin. I also wish the line type definitions would support the shapes (.SHX) within line types. Then some very nice drawing annotations could be implemented without burdening the assembly models yet representing complex repetitive items (roller and link chain, etc.).

Reply to
Keith Streich

I was hoping to generate some comments or work around about this. I can't believe I'm the only one who needs these capabilities.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

Like many things in CAD and drafting in general it is not necessary to show features with repeated detail exactly as they are. This is true of threads, springs, etc.

In a solid model a wire mesh guard could be shown with some transparency so that it was clear there was some level of visibility through the object. The actual model would be a simple sheet or shell depending on complexity. Mass properties would be set to simulate the density of wire mesh.

If the feature had to be rendered then a decal of wire mesh might work.

JAS> Hi,

Reply to
P.

I agree with this. If you need to show the mesh in a drawing you can always select the area that would be mesh and add a suitable hatch pattern.

Merry :-)

Reply to
Merry Owen

The problem I have with this is one maintains how the part looks in the drawing file, not the part file. In one uses that part in an assembly, then one must apply that pattern in that assembly's drawing. It would be nice to apply the pattern to the face of that part and then in the drawing toggle it on or off or crop portions of it if not needed.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich