50s Santa Fe Chief

i acquired a santa fe chief from the 50s that was sitting for many of years, i cleaned it up and started running it, the front uncoupler gets do hot it burned my finger, i spayed water on the bitch and it sizzled like a cars exhuast manifold. i noticed a wire going to it i guess it is some kind of electric uncoupler, anyone know what the problem could be??

Reply to
Joe

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:03:41 -0800 (PST), I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Joe instead replied:

They're not meant to be on all the time. Coils also double as heaters when necessary.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

whats that supposed to mean?

Reply to
Joe

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:45:26 -0800 (PST), I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Joe instead replied:

I don't know the makeup of your uncoupler but if it's like many others, it has a coil inside of it which must be switched on and then off again after the uncoupling is done. Leaving it on builds up heat as the coil inside is nothing but a loop of wire that acts as a magnet when energized.

Another magnetic device is the remote switch machine. If you leave a remote switch machine energized for a long time, it can do the same thing and depending on the current available, melt the switch. Thus, momentary contact switches are used for switch machines and most uncouplers. For now, disconnect the wire until you get a more informed answer. Perhaps you could better describe it to us.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

many of

uncoupler

and it

it i

the

There's a wire that's supposed to run from the uncoupling coil of the coupler to a slide shoe on the bottom of the front truck. I suspect your wire has come loose from the slide shoe and is contacting the P/U roller contact which is nearby. This would keep the coil energized all the time, making it get hotter than h*ll.

Len

Reply to
Len