A better way to ballast

Since the subject of ballasting came up here, I thought I'd give folks here the privilege of hearing my expert take on this subject (not!).

Forgive me if you've heard this from me here before. I think I have a superior way to do ballasting, although it does take a lot longer.

The commonly-accepted way to apply ballast is to put the ballast in place, then glue it in place by basically drenching it in dilute glue. I don't like this; it does work to secure the ballast, but it leaves it covered with, well, a layer of glue.

What I do is to apply glue (somewhat diluted) to the area I want to ballast, the sides of the track and between the ties. Then I dump ballast over these areas, completely covering them. After the glue dries, I then remove the ballast. How do you do that? you ask. Glad to answer: I vacuum them up, using an inline filter of my own design connected to the vacuum hose, with a piece of nylon hoisery inside to trap the ballast.

It usually takes at least two, sometimes more, applications this way to get sufficient ballast down. It does take longer and is more work. But the surface of the ballast is pristine. No worries about gloppy glue showing.

Try it; you might like it.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

thanks for the method John Hubbard

Reply to
NICHE541

David Nebenzahl skriver:

Than you haven't used enough soap...

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

------------------------------------

Here's how I ballasted my n scale railroad...

History of N Scale:
's Store--Books, Trains, and Toys:
to 1,200 sites:

vista bill

On 2/20/2009 7:22 AM Klaus D. Mikkelsen spake thus:

But the more soap you use, the less well the glue bonds ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 2/20/2009 11:07 AM vista bill spake thus:

Aha; looks like a variation on my method, but with the big difference of ballasting *before* laying track. Interesting.

Like they say, there are multitudinous ways to remove the epidermis of a feline ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Actually there is prototype for everything. A visible layer of glue on the surface of the ballast is actually desirable when modeling Japanese Shinkansen bullet-train trackage. I have noticed that the ballast on those right of ways is glued with some sort of satin-finish adhesive (at least at the stations). This most be done to prevent the high-speed trains from kicking up the ballast.

Peteski

Reply to
peteski