All Hail Caesar!

. . . and his model trains!

From ancient Rome, some HO pillars for your ancient Roman railroad.

This guy is the one selling all sorts of modeling supplies on eBay. I order consumer electronics from him regularly. In spite of being in China, his shipping is fast, cheap and reliable.

Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

How goes the Queen?

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

Hey, them pillers would look really great on that doublewide down in the trailer park.

Reply to
Steve Caple

SC:

I actually have an old RMC in which some modeler built an interurban terminal with Ionic columns just like this. The caption noted that they were wedding-cake decorations, and that's probably what these are, too. While they're a bit stubby, the capitals look good, and they're hard to make; the column shaft could be replaced with dowel. Sanding it to a rounded taper for the classical entasis and adding flutes would probably be too difficult, unfortunately.

New England had some very early railroad stations that resembled Greek temples very closely. These columns could be a good start.

A footnote: this is the kind of thing that Bachmann started out in.

Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, a box of track and a gappy table.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

It would also be really great for mini-McMansions

or even non-mini McMansions

Steve Caple

Honestly, while they could both be a lot better, these two don't strike me as horribly tasteless. The Beazer house would be fairly nice without the awful stone execrescence in the front, and the lavender-door house could be a honest if large American Foursquare if it didn't have the back wing (just extend it under the same hip roof) and if the pseudo-Colonial porch was made full-width.

They might stil fail when seen in context, but as isolated designs, both of these avoid most of the worst Mcpitfalls, which can be seen in this abomination:

Lots of gables, a disjointed design, and a general appearance of being a shambles of rooms wadded up and wrapped in vinyl siding - there is no hope for that monstrosity.

Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, a box of track and a gappy table.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

That's almost what I was looking for - but just drive around southwest Eugene to see some bad ones, or better yet take the Cliff Road exit from I35W and keep going east - not sure if it's Burnsville, Eagan or Apple Valley, but they've got some Monster McMansard McMansions there that ft right in with the "Biff Bimbo, Steroid Abuser" styling of the Dodge V-10 diesels and Magnums and SUVs parked in front. Perhaps some of the worst are in the American River Canyon Drive area between Folsom and Orangevale right here in metro Sacramento.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Roman designed stations with columns too

Jerry

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 23:19:40 -0400, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Jerry" instead replied:

All hail Caesar!

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

"They might stil fail when seen in context, but as isolated designs, both of these avoid most of the worst Mcpitfalls, which can be seen in this abomination:

Lots of gables, a disjointed design, and a general appearance of being a shambles of rooms wadded up and wrapped in vinyl siding - there is no hope for that monstrosity."

Insurance fire?

Reply to
newyorkcentralfan