American Flyer coupler retrofit

Here is the situation.
I've inherited my father's old American Flyer trackage and cars. The engines were both destroyed by a saltwater when he was a teen. The
car couplers are the type that look a bit like ramped up standard 'N' Scale couplers.
I'd like to put this style of coupler on a modern engine to have a running set again. Any ideas of sources for this style that would retrofit onto an engine/tender as described? Other ideas/options?
Thanks in advance
snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net
Thren wrote: I've inherited my father's old American Flyer trackage and cars. The engines were both destroyed by a saltwater when he was a teen. The car couplers are the type that look a bit like ramped up standard 'N' Scale couplers. I'd like to put this style of coupler on a modern engine to have a running set again. Any ideas of sources for this style that would retrofit onto an engine/tender as described? Other ideas/options? -------------------------------------------------- American Flyer Parts:
R. F. Gairdina Co.:
http://www.rfgco.com/index.html
Hobby Surplus Sales:
http://www.hobbysurplus.com /
Paul Yorke's Website has links to AF sites:
http://www.trainweb.org/s-trains /
Good luck with your endeavor!
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire N Scale Model Railroad: http://www.billsrailroad.net Brief History of N Scale: http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale Resources: Links to over 700 helpful sites: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links Bookstore: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore.html

cars. The

The
standard 'N'

have a

would
ideas/options?
I think you'll find it's easier to convert the 'link' couplers on you cars to the knuckle couplers used in later production, and most modern Flyer compatible equipment.
R. F. Gairdina Co. <http://www.rfgco.com/index.html sells the parts, and a tool for knocking out the pin of the link couplers, for doing this conversion.
I've done quite a few of these conversions, and if it takes more than 5 minutes per car it means one of my grandkids is playing the "Whatcha doing? Why?" game with me. -- Len Head Rust Scraper KL&B Eastern Lines RR Museum