American Flyer coupler retrofit

Here is the situation.

I've inherited my father's old American Flyer trackage and cars. The engines were both destroyed by a saltwater when he was a teen. The car couplers are the type that look a bit like ramped up standard 'N' Scale couplers.

I'd like to put this style of coupler on a modern engine to have a running set again. Any ideas of sources for this style that would retrofit onto an engine/tender as described? Other ideas/options?

Thanks in advance

snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net

Reply to
Listedinbody

Thren wrote: I've inherited my father's old American Flyer trackage and cars. The engines were both destroyed by a saltwater when he was a teen. The car couplers are the type that look a bit like ramped up standard 'N' Scale couplers. I'd like to put this style of coupler on a modern engine to have a running set again. Any ideas of sources for this style that would retrofit onto an engine/tender as described? Other ideas/options?

-------------------------------------------------- American Flyer Parts:

R. F. Gairdina Co.:

Hobby Surplus Sales:

Paul Yorke's Website has links to AF sites:

Good luck with your endeavor!

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

cars. The

The

standard 'N'

have a

would

ideas/options?

I think you'll find it's easier to convert the 'link' couplers on you cars to the knuckle couplers used in later production, and most modern Flyer compatible equipment.

R. F. Gairdina Co. sells the parts, and a tool for knocking out the pin of the link couplers, for doing this conversion.

I've done quite a few of these conversions, and if it takes more than 5 minutes per car it means one of my grandkids is playing the "Whatcha doing? Why?" game with me.

-- Len Head Rust Scraper KL&B Eastern Lines RR Museum

Reply to
Len