American Flyer Penn 310 Problem

I picked up an American Flyer 310 Steam Locomotve at an antique store. Had missing parts and I found some on ebay. I don't really colect S
Gage, but after all this is an circa 1946 Amrican made product and I had to restore it. Anyway wen I run this engine, the large wheels from the engine seem to be shorting out the. Are there insulators that need to be replaced? The power is picked up from the coal car. It does run soemwhat, but lots of sparks from the front weels.

The wheels might need to be cleaned.
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire N Scale Model Railroad: http://www.billsrailroad.net Brief History of N Scale: http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale Bill's Store--Books, Trains, and Toys: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore Resources--Links to 1,200 sites: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links

They wheels might need to be cleaned.
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire N Scale Model Railroad: http://www.billsrailroad.net Brief History of N Scale: http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale Bill's Store--Books, Trains, and Toys: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore Resources--Links to 1,200 sites: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links

If the wheels were shorting out the engine wouldn't run and the breaker on the power pack would trip. You have either dirty wheels or dirty track or both. Rubbing alcohol and cotton balls are the answer.