Amtrak Coast Starlight Kiddie Car had an HO train layout in it

Hi, This weekend I had the pleasure of riding the Amtrak Coast Starlight with my children. Had a blast, many fond memories. One feature the train had
that I have a question on. If you read in the flyer for the Coast Starlight, it mentions "Kiddie Car: Features toys and videos for children aged 3-10".
We enjoyed that feature on this train and one thing the play room had confused me when I saw it. There was a loop of HO track around the top
of the play room inside a clear plexiglass rectangular tube. It looked
quite solid but had been broken out in a few places and there were no cars present. It was solid enough that it looked pretty intentional and well thought out. One thing I didn't get. If you run an HO train in an inaccesible tube like that, won't the motion of the train cause the HO to derail? And since you couldn't reach the train to re-rail it, how did they solve that problem in practice?
If anyone ever saw this feature successfully operating, please let me know. How did it stay on track? How did they clear derailments? Was this feature just on this one car on my one train or was this something
Amtrak tried on several rail cars?
Thanks