Anyone know about these new Katos?

Kato is now offering various of their diesels with built-in Digitrax DCC and sound units. I'm interested in this one (see link) and have a few questions:

(A) Is the Digitrax unit compatable with my club-dictated NCE Power Cab? (Recall that the sum total of my electronic knowledge consists of having once discovered that sticking a hairpin into a wall socket has unpleasant side-effects. Be gentle.)

(B) I've yet to own a Kato locomotive. How reliable are their mechanisims, Etc? I've been having serious reliability issues with Athearn Genesis units running on DCC (they lose their programming at random intervals and either refuse to move or continue on regardless of input), and want to avoid this in the future if possible.

(C) N> (A) Is the Digitrax unit compatable with my club-dictated NCE Power > Cab?

Oh dear, twibil, that's outrageous. Somebody dictating terms and conditions? Shock, horror. To be consistent with your ebay pronouncements, should you not be professing utter disgust at this, refusing to comply and alleging restraint of trade? It's quite obvious that you have no idea of what you're talking about! I'd suspect that in the early days of that club, different decoders failed for whatever reasons and only one made it without troubles. In the interests of reliability, the club said only this one type will work. Since the club members were probably about as stupid about electronics as you sound like, they did the simple thing to insure tranquility. You get this nasty post because you were the one being stupid in complaining about somebody elses preferences.

-- Bob May

On 4/22/2009 2:37 PM Bob May spake thus:

It's quite obvious that, due to your sloppy and non-standard posting style, one has no idea what you're referring to here. Ever heard of "quoting"?

Yep! Got enough?

-- Save the Planet Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia

a thread with uglyness, sarcasm and people being downright rude.

NOW, I feel like this is a model railroad newsgroup.

And for the pers>

Well gee; you only had to *ask*!

Hell, you should see our club meetings when the Rush Limbaugh clones start going on about the "communists" in Washington!

Who knows? I was circa 4 years old at the time. (To this day I suspect that electr> >

Well, I'm asking

Well, at our club there are no Rush Limbaugh "clones" but liberals have learned to keep their mouths shut since they are usually the ones to put the least amount of work or money into the layout.

Ok, at 4 year old I guess I can understand. The black spot on the wall as well as the "fried" look on my face as my father yelled "what the F*** are you doing" as the motor exploded in my hands has rendered me as one who does not play with electricity very often.

"To this day I suspect that electronic devises are essentially instruments of the devil"

Based on the way my computer has been acting recently, I'm beginning to believe that.

Bill

Can't happen in the UK nor any other country with safe electrical codes.

Well, you can stick a hair pin in both the hot and neutral female wall outlets but nothing will happen. This is because there are gates inside the female outlets that will not lift until you insert a plug with a ground pin. The ground pin is longer than the hot and neutral pins and lifts the gates so that the male hot and neutral pins can make contact. Thus, sticking anything into the hot and neutral outlets does nothing.

Unlike North America where you can stick bare wires into a wall outlet to get power and ground pins are deliberately designed to be so flimsy that they can be cut off with a pair or pliers, thus defeating the safety of a ground pin.

-- Cheers.

Roger T. See the GER at: -

We call it "thinning the herd"

Guess thats why you have so many idiots in the UK ?

We call it "thinning the herd"

Guess thats why you have so many idiots in the UK ?

~~~~

Doesn't really seem to be working all that well here. Maybe we should up it to 220V?

VM

On 4/23/2009 6:03 AM Val spake thus:

Contrary to popular myth, not even that would do the trick. How do I know? I've been zapped with 277 volts (commercial lighting power) and lived to tell about it. (Don't ask how.)

-- Save the Planet Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia

Er, that's why people ask questions, Bob. To find out. But at least I know enough to quote the post I'm replying to so that people can tell what the heck I'm referring to.

And you'd be wrong.

Wrong again.

Still wrong.

Ya'see, nobody mentioned club-mandated *decoders* at all, and there aren't any. What the club *did* decide to do was standardise on the

*controllers*, which are all NCEs because (A) that's the same system we *have* to work with when we run at the San Diego Model Railroad Museum, (B) having looked into all of the available systems in depth we all agreed that the NCE was probably the best bet, and, (C) the club got an amazing price break by purchasing a bunch of controllers at once.

I -and everyone else, too- got this nasty post because you didn't bother to understand what the situation was before you boiled off your self-satified but incorrect bunch of assumptions. But somehow I doubt we're going to be seeing any Mea Culpas from you.

Have a nice day,

~Pete Twibil wrote:

A) Yes, they're compatible. After all, that's what DCC is all about, right?

B) I have nine Kato locos on my roster, and all of them are excellent runners. (There were a few runs, many years ago, that used an inferior pickup system that has since been eliminated. But even those can easily be upgraded to excellent runners.) I'd grade them as better runners than the Genesis locos, although the Genesis locos generally have a higher level of detail.

BTW, those Genesis locos have MRC decoders in them, which is why you're having running-quality issues. Shitcan the MRC crap and put real decoders in them. You *won't* be disappointed.

C)I don't own any of the "Kobo" (Kato-w/installed sound) locos, but I do have a pair of the Kato SD40-2 "Mid" locos into which I've installed the Digitrax DH165K1A/SFX004 motor/sound decoders. I'm guessing that's what the Kobos use. It's an easy drop-in. The first one took me about a half-hour, and the second only 20 minutes. In retrospect, I couldn't see paying the "Kobo" premium for such a simple install. The only problem is that the SFX004 comes with an SD38-2 sound scheme, so you'll have to load the correct one for your loco (available from the Digitrax web site). It'll take a PR3 to do that, but if you can find someone who has one it's a five-minute operation to upload the correct sound scheme.

HTH, Stevert

-- Bob May

Bob May

BACK UNDER YOUR BRIDGE, TROLL!

Reply to
Twibil

POT Kettle Black ??????

Reply to
Charles Davis

Has that fruitcake time of year rolled around 8 months early, or is it that you simply don't know what a '"troll" is?

(Free hint: A "troll" is someone who posts things with the specific intent of inciting flame wars or otherwise starting trouble.)

But I began this thread with a perfectly normal on-topic question about the newer Kato diesels -of which I knew practically nothing- and DCC operations, of which I admittedly know very little.

As it happens, a couple of the guys here *did* know about those things and gave helpful answers, which, you will note, I responded to politely.

There were a couple of *other* answers -of the smart-ass variety- which *were* trolls, and, not surprisingly, I verbally zapped them in return.

And that's not "trolling", bub: it's just how conversations work in real life. If someone is polite and helpful to you, you naturally respond the same way. And if they're intentionally being a royal pain in the ass you naturally respond to *that* also; but not usually with flowers and candy.

Do I go off too quickly or go too far in response to these smart-ass posters? Dunno. Maybe. I can't see myself from the outside, but I can tell you that I respond to online stupidity and ugliness in exactly the same ways I would respond in a face-to-face conversation. Now whether or not that's what *you* would do in similar circumstances, or whether it's what you approve of here, are different questions altogether; but what *you* would do or what *you* approve of is not - alas- high on my list of priorities.

My intent here at rec.models.railroad is simply to be as helpful as I can in terms of sharing the little knowledge I have, and to learn what I can from posters who know more about various subjects than do I.

In short: If you want an answer and think I might be able to help, ask me a question. And if I ask a question and you have a relevant answer then please feel free to chime in. But if you want a flame war, well, I'm absolutely *terrible* at appeasement -always have been- so don't expect me to apologise for being who and what I am.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

Come on now Pete. You of all people know the rules for Troll control, I.E. "Never answer a Troll"

Chuck D. [Yeah, I know, I just did!!!]

Reply to
Charles Davis

The problem is that not answering them doesn't *work*, and just as unenforcable statutes breed disrespect for the law, so non-functional Usenet "rules" plead to be disobeyed..

Besides, I've always thought of that "rule" as being more of a guideline...

Reply to
Twibil

Well, when you consider the construction & operation of 'INTERNET', all of the supposed 'rules' are just 'guidelines'. Just what the 'rule' is dealing with, and how much of a 'Hot Button' thing the 'offence'is kind of determines the level of response from other INTERNET users.

rule ... guideline...

Take your pick!

Chuck D.

Reply to
Charles Davis

(A) It's simply NCE for the command system so any NMRA DCC decoder will work.

(B) Kato has a rep for good engines. Athearn Genesis used to use MRC decoders, they finally got smart and now use Soundtraxx Tsunami sound decoders.

(C) There are lots of good mail order businesses available.

Reply to
Jon Miller