Automatic layout switching

Hi; I am using MTH Realtrack switches in my O-Gauge layout. It is shaped as a large (18' x 6') oval. There are 4 switches, one at the beginning/end of each curve to create a figure eight crossing in the middle. With this I can either run the train in an oval, a figure eight, or... if I run around turning switches manually, a varied combination of the two.

It has been suggested to me that they (the switches) can be wired so that (A) when an engin passes through one, it automatically switches another one, and (B) it can be done in such a manner as to cause the longest combination route before repeating.

Since the primary user of this layout is blind, special controlers requiring visual monitoring of readouts cannot be used.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Thanx Bruce

Reply to
ling

The old electric O gauge Lionel switches used to have a "derail proof" feature. When a train approached a switch set against it, the circuit would automatically throw the switch to accept the train. The switch machine was fast enough to get the switch thrown properly even though the detection circuit was only a couple of inches ahead to the frog. Before the train could travel that couple of inches, the switch would go clack, and the train would be saved. This magic worked when the conductive wheel/axle connected an insulated rail pad to the common rail on the other side. Presumably some jerry rigging could make this circuit throw more than one switch.

David Starr

Reply to
David Starr