Boy's Life HO layout?

I'm trying to locate the plans for an HO train layout that appeared in Boy's Life magazine during the 1960's. It was built on a sheet of plywood. I'd appreciate any help with finding these plans.

Thanks

Reply to
trainman

In article , snipped-for-privacy@bluesky.net by trainman dropped his wrench, scratched his head and mumbled,

Reply to
volvowrench

I remember those issues well! That's what got me into MR in the first place. I cut them out and saved them but, like my baseball card collection, my mom threw that all out when I went to college.

I got Boys Life as a part of being in the Scouts. There used to be (maybe still is) a Railroading Merit Badge. IIRC, when we wanted to earn a merit badge we had to work with an adult advisor. Perhaps your local Scoutmaster can put you in contact with the Railroading Merit Badge advisor who, probably being a Scout himself, may have kept it.

Good luck

CGM

Reply to
CowGoesMoo

Reply to
MrRathburne

I think the Model Railroad merit badge was replaced with the HTML and Java Script merit badge a couple years ago.

Seriously I went to

and the model railroad merit badge was not listed. Too bad. Another sign todays youth are not getting into trains.

CBix

Reply to
Charles Bix

Reply to
Charles Bix

I am pretty sure that Boys Life did a reprint with all of the model railroad articles. I think I actually still have mine from the 60's.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Koska

Hi

For some reason, the Boy Scouts called it "Railroading" instead of "Model Railroading", but anyway, it is indeed listed under "Railroading" at meritbadge.com.

CGM

Reply to
CowGoesMoo

THAT was a great railroad (of course that was our childhood years for many of us, and when RMC printed a B&W photo with a blue-filter over it we saw it as color... but things have changed).

Although I wouldn't know how to locate those articles there was a great series of articles, turned into a book by Kalmbach, for a layout called the "Jerome & Southwestern RR" writted by mrring guru John Olsen (Olson?)... a 4x8 layout with a figure-8 trackplan and an additional module for adding a switching facilty at a later date. If you can locate these articles (or book) I'd highly recommend it... the scenery could be re-thmed to any geographical location, and it should do the trick for you. Good luck.

Art Fahie

Reply to
Art Fahie

[snip]

Probably...there's a few shot of UP locos IIRC. ;-)

Reply to
volvowrench

That's because the merit badge encompasses more than just modeling, some of the requirements deal with planning a trip using a timetable, and safety around railroad equipment. The merit badge program is at least partly intended to let boys explore career possibilities, and at one time railroading was a good choice. Railroading was my first merit badge, on the path to Eagle, and today, 30 years later, I'm a counselor for Railroading and several other merit badges. Not too many boys have expressed any interest in getting the badge these days, which concerns me quite a bit, and I think it reflects on the hobby in general. James F. Hodgdon Jr. Hodgdon Scale Models

Reply to
Hdgdn

I have some photocopies of the articles that I got from an individual on the AOL rail boards. I'll contact them and see if he can make some more copies. I dont think my copies will copy well enough to be acceptable.

As for the US Never-Let-Go-Of-Copyrtight Act, I doubt the the Boy Scout of America will come looking for you. First, BSA does not have some of the old issues to copy to sell. Second, if you don't misrepresent the origin of the material and don't misuse the material, I doubt BSA would take exception to your copying the article. After all, how many magazines would like to claim that their articles are so good they are still considered valuable after 30+ years?

Now that all that is said, you can contact Boys Life and see how they would prefer to address the copyright issue. I recall there is a copyright clearinghouse that many professional societies use. I believe most of the technical papers are $1US to $1.50US per page. I'll check my employers intranet site to see what the legal department has posted on copying articles and share what I learn here.

Reply to
Raildavid

When I was living in Kenosha, WI in '92-'93 the Burger King on 52nd St. out by

47th Ave. had a layout in it that if it wasn't the J&SW was awfully close.

Jay Modeling the North Shore & North Western C&NW/CNS&M in 1940-1955 Due to spam, all e-mails except those from selected addresses will be refused. Thanks for your understanding.

Reply to
JCunington

Searched through some of my stacks of stuff this weekend and came up empty, but I remember seeing this reprint not too long ago. I will continue to search tonight.

Bob.

Reply to
Bob Koska

Thanks for looking. Hope you find it.

Reply to
trainman

December 1958 issue, so I'm told.

Reply to
Corelane

I think that's right. It seems to be a difficult issue to find. I may try an inter-library search for it, if no one on the group has it. The layout was built on a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood that was cut with a jig saw to make ramps for the track to follow on two levels. It was basically an inner figure eight on the high level surrounded by a square ellipse on the main level. I could probably duplicate it from memory but it would be nice to see the original plans.

Reply to
trainman

b&w. I'll see how well my son's scanner does with the copies. The text may be O.K. but the pictures will likely be unusable. I'll see if I can convert the scanners output to a .PDF file.

If I don't find my source's email address I'll send a snail mail which may take a few days.

Reply to
Raildavid

I found it. It was in the last place I looked. I have made one xerox copy so far and it is 32 pages. Email me off list with a snail mail address and I will send a copy.

Bob.

Reply to
Bob Koska

In article , snipped-for-privacy@necam.com by Bob Koska dropped his wrench, scratched his head and mumbled,

Is there anyway could could scan it and post it on alt.binaries.pictures.scale?

Bob

Reply to
volvowrench