bachman historicals...

Salvé

A question for this august body...... :) Just as a matter of interest the Bachman locos and carriages in the de Witt Clinton and lafayette sets how well do they run ? are they good quality or just mobile rubbish? Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

Basically, they are more for show than anything else.

They will run, but they are very light. Since they have the 'lifetime' guarantee, you would have to send them back to Bachmann for any repairs.

The motors are the same as in the handcar; 3 pole non skew wound, two or three speeds:fast, supersonic, and broken.

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

I had one of those - it ran surprisingly well, even adequately! I couldn't find anything to rebuild it into that appealed so I sold it on.

I think this is the same loco as the "Prussia" - I have one and it runs exceptionally well. I even wondered if it came from the same makers as the horrible single bogie drive Diesels that Bachmann was peddling at the time it first came out. The two models certainly changed my opinion of what Bachmann was capable of! Perhaps I was just lucky and bought the only two good models from two production runs or perhaps they are mostly all good - I'd guess at the latter.

They're not handmade brass models but I think they were the best of Bachmann products of 1980. For the price I would recommend them. The coaches look a bit basic and crude but I tend to look at such things as a starting point for building models.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

My "Prussia" runs beautifully at "walking" to "much to fast" speeds. The fact that there are pickups on 3 axles and the front two are equalized by way of the bogie is probably the reason.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

There were two versions - one with a tiny motor in the firebox, which were surprisingly good. These had a flexible wheelbase because the bogie truck had pickups as well as the driving wheels. So it meant that power pickup was excellent.

The other had a tender drive with a short wheelbase, rigid chassis that was a bad runner.

IMO the one with the motor in the firebox is a good engine for a period layout. They ran in Germany and England (Birmingham and Gloucester Railway).

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

A local museum has one of these in daily service. Last I checked it was still chugging away.

FB

Reply to
Farmboy

Is that the new US livery model? Mine definitely has the motor in the firebox - I expected to have to replace it with a Sagami or Faulhaber but it runs nicely.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

The Lion is still a working loco, and for those who can I recommend the film (known to most British enthusiasts) "The Titfield Thunderbolt" for some absolutely stunning shots of an early (1840¨s) Loco the Lion in full steam and with wonderful sound too :) Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

Are there any other models of the early period out there other than Adler? BEOWULF

Reply to
Beowulf

Adler by Trix - 1:64 1960s Rocket by Triang. Rocket by Airfix/Dapol (non-operating kit) John Bull by Bachmann. (make a Stephenson 0-4-0) De Witt by Bachmann. Prussia (Norris) by Bachmann. Adler by Ma/Trix - 1:80. Esslingen by Ma/Trix. SBB 4-2-0 Lok by Ma/Trix.

Various German brass models by Trix.

Reply to
Gregory Procter