Best N scale cars for switching?

You could, but the N scale coupler is very small and most of it is moving. the trip pin (glad hand) does not move and since it is metal, almost any paint will stick. The knuckles are of slippery plastic and very few paints will stick to it reliably.

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

Frank A. Rosenbaum spake thus:

Yeah, that reminds me again why I don't do N scale: declining (post-40) eyesight ... my loss, I guess, as N allows lots more RR real estate.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Sure, in theory that would work. But in practice you have to be really careful. N scale couplers are split horizontally and if any of the paint gets into that split area it will bind them. Also, the face of the knuckle needs to be left unpainted (for smooth coupling action).

IMO, it is not worth the hassle if someone wants them to be as reliable as possible. And IIRC, Micro Trains now sells rust colored couplers. They should have done that all along.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Peter W. spake thus:

So why didn't you say so in the first place? That sounds like the best of all possible solutions.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Because they only make the Bettendorf trucks w/couplers in brown. And I think that they also make one or two flavors of couplrs in brown. So, it is a very limited selection.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

22 020 MTL-1001-B without Couplers, Brown, one pair MTL-003 22 021 MTL-1000-B w/Short Coupler shank, Brown, one pair MTL-003 22 025 MTL-1004-B without Couplers, Low Profile wheels, one pair

02 004 MTL-1015-1-B BROWN - 1015 coupler pre-assembled, 2 pair ASSEMBLED MTL-001 10 002 MTL-1015-10-B BROWN - Bulk pack of 1015 coupler, 10 pair unassembled MTL-001 02 010 MTL-1023-B RDA Universal body mount coupler (assembled

1025), 2 pair, BROWN MTL-001 02 012 MTL-1025-B RDA Universal body mount coupler (unassembled), 2 pair, BROWN
Reply to
Erik Olsen DK

FWIW, I ended up purchasing one bulk pack of 1015's in brown. The draft gear box is brown as well, And not a rust brown either. VERY unrealistic. I have gotten much better results by !!CAREFULLY!! dry brushing the coupler knuckle with rust, either Floquil or PollyScale, whatever I have handy. The key is a light dry-brushing,..

YMMV

Franz T

Reply to
Franz T

Erik: thanks for posting the list of couplers. Funny that MT website doesn't have them listed (just the Betendorf trucks). Actually MT website doesn't show any extensive couplers lists. Weird as they actually make them. I'm dissapointed.

Franz: rusted iron or steel can take many different shades of orange and brown. In any case, I think those brown ones are more realistic than plain black.

If you feel strongly that they have wrong color - email Micro Trains and thell them what you think. I had good luck with them replying to me. But I also have a feeling that somene else would turn their nose up at whatever color you think represents rusted couplers.

And careful drybrushing should do the trick

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Micro-Trains' website is indeed not very good.

I have collected some information on M-T couplers etc. on my web site:

Erik Olsen DK