Boston Model Railroads

I plan to be in Boston, MA September 14-16. Are there any clubs or large home layouts that will be available for viewing on those days? DCC would be a plus.

Regards,

Britt Harrington Miami, Florida

Reply to
FBritt

Just a guess - a possibility.

You could contact Bill Borrelli at: snipped-for-privacy@attbi.com

He's a terrific guy. He and a number of others conduct a round robin of house layout operations on the north shore of Boston. They cover the entire range from O-scale to N-scale. My wife and I have visited many of these home layouts. We have operated Bill's O-scale railroad. These are all superb model railroads and equally wonderful people.

Perhaps Bill can point you in the right direction for other Boston train opportunities. I don't live near Boston.

George Sellios also shows a huge model railroad on the north shore. You'd need to contact him to arrange a visit. I believe he has scheduled visitations for the general public. It's a large building/factory somewhere near or in Peabody, Ma. I have not been there to see it. Others on this NG may have his contact info. There was a recent NG thread discussing the Sellios layout/approach in great depth.

Good Luck! Matt

Reply to
Matt & Kathleen Brennan

Well, you can always come and visit us: the South Shore Model Railway Club, in Hingham, MA. We're about 20-25 minutes out of Boston (depending on traffic).

We have been running Digitrax DCC for about 5 years. There are almost always somebody there on Saturday mornings, and sometimes during the day both Saturday and Sunday. Give us a call at (781)

740-2000 to make sure somebody is there before driving down.

Other places: The North Shore Model Railroad Club, in Wakefield, MA (north of Boston), the Bay State Society of Model Engineers, in Roslindale, MA (just west of Boston), the Worcester Model Railroad Club, and the Providence Model Railroad Club. They all have websites, which you can find at

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

There's a fellow in Wakefield named "ACE" (Amos) Cutter... he's a terrific modeler, a fine fellow, and has a top-notch layout. You can probably locate him through an internet phone book, I should have his # but I don't. Make sure to contact him, tell him I sent you. His layout is HO scale, quite large, and very well scenicked. Enjoy your trip.

Art Fahie

Reply to
Art Fahie

T.

Just to clarify, Jim South (a CNW fan of all things) is at the South Shore Model Railway Club, in Hingham, MA, not to be confused with the North Shore Club. He's also the Deputy Chief of Braintree's Fire Dept. (not to be confused for the Police Dept.). Jim's a good guy who has done a lot for the club over the years; operating the layout, building benchwork, taking out the trash, and helping us interact with Hingham's FD (needed for all the fire codes, etc., involved in our new/old building).

You can find out more about us at

And if you are into Fire Museums, right next to us is the Bare Cove Park Fire Museum, which has quite a collection of fire apparatus.

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

Britt,

I am a member of both the MIT and North Shore Clubs. You are more than welcome to visit both, but your timing is bad. The MIT Club meets on Wednesday and Saturday nights and the NS Club meets on Thursday nights. A quick glance at my calendar shows you will be in town Sunday through Tuesday. Murphy's law is alive and well! However, people are usually present at the NS Club on Tuesdays although its unofficial, and there is always a reasonable chance of finding someone at MIT on any night. Both clubs maintain websites with contact info. Call and see if anyone's home.

Norm,

I think we met when you visited both clubs. I believe you were the one who looked familiar to me when you showed up at MIT because I had just seen yo at Wakefield at the NS Club. The final coincidence is that I have frequent business at Hampton VA. I was there all last week. I used to take the Twighlight SHoreliner overnight until it became almost impossible. Now it IS impossible. I always pay a visit to the club in York on Dare Rd. Are you member. I once visited the N scale club in Lee Hall. When I am next traveling to VA I will email you.

Regards,

Andy Miller snipped-for-privacy@mitre.org

================================================== Norman West> I recently was in Boston and visited the folks at MIT who have a layout and

Reply to