Cars for O-Scale

What scale cars are most popularily used for O-Scale sets? I can't seem to find much in the 1:48 scale, but I see 1:43, and 1:50. Is
there any advantage to either?
John

1:43 will make your locomotives look bigger.
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 21:31:14 -0800 (PST), video guy - www.locoworks.com wrote:

Er, uh, just the opposite I believe.
--
Steve

Sorry, Steve,
You are right, of course. I had my glasses on upside down.
"video guy - www.locoworks.com" wrote:

1:43 scale locos _will_ be bigger! (compared to 1:50)

O scale is 1:48. 1:50 is a common scale because of it being a nice round number. You can mix and match to a point, though, so don't worry about everything being the same scale. When mixing and matching, just remember that one thing in a different scale will stick out, but many things in different scales will not.
Puckdropper
marching band.
Puckdropper wrote:

Only in the US.
In UK it is 1:43.5 (7mm/ft), and in most of mainland Europe it is 1:45.
--
Venlig hilsen/Best regards
Erik Olsen DK

I'd simply say this... a 1:50 model will be closer to a 1:48 model (approximately 4.2% smaller) than a 1:43 model would be (approx. 10.4% bigger). So, all other things being the same, I'd go for the 1:50s if they are readily available.
My 2% worth... : )
dlm
julvr wrote:

Most model vehicles are made overseas, where O scale is 1:43 (this is one scale where the USA is out of step with the rest of the world. At 1:48, O gauge scales out to 5Ft). That's why O scale vehicles are almost always 1:43.
1:50 is one of the diecast collector scales, and is close enough to 1:48 to make little difference (it's 4% too small.)
Put the 1:43 in the foreground, the 1:50 next to or behind the trains. It will create a subtle but pleasant forced perspective effect.
HTH

This really does work. A few months ago a I visited a layout that featured a nicely modeled citrus packing house in one corner.
It wasn't until after I'd admired it for several minutes that I twigged to the fact that the end of the building closest to the wall -furthest from the viewer- featured N-scale windows and loading doors with N-scale trucks backed up to them, while the closest end -with the railroad loading dock- was done in HO.
The impression of depth in the scene was whelming -too subtle to be overwhelming, that is, but was very very effective.
-Pete