Current projects

I'm starting work on some buildings - I think my trackwork is as good as it's going to get so it's time to bring the thing to life.

My first experience is with a kit, "Adam's Rib", a little cafe built in turn-of-the-century style brick. Bought it at the LHS for ~$12. I don't recall the brandname but it begins with a "C" (anyone remember this name? If I get home before someone else remembers I'll post the brnad name). The kit itself has well formed parts but the instructions are a little bleak. It goes together nicely, no ill fitting parts. Window plastic is a little foggy looking.

I'm using the microscale "white glue" that you use to make tiny windows as a window adhesive and it's working well.

Once done I'm going to try my first weathering of a building. I've done a million pieces of rolling stock but they weather differently from a building. I'm studying pictures of buildings on Gill Frietag's layout, his material looks nice. We'll see how close I come on the first go-around.

What's everyone working these days?

Reply to
Greg Forestieri

Remodeling the house. Groan.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Trivia Time:

Did you know this kit is based on an episode of M*A*S*H, where Hawkeye keeps trying to get Adam's Rib in Toledo, Ohio, on the phone so he can order some take-out ribs to have sent to the 4077th in Korea?

--Dan

Reply to
Dan O'Connor

Yep, I remembered. I thought it was from Chicago, so I looked it up:

Yep, Chicago. What do I win?

-- Jerry Shickler Visit the PRR E&P, P&E, & Chautauqua branch web page at:

Jerry Shickler

Chicago? I could have sworn it was Toledo...

Or was it, that Klinger's home town is Toledo?

Hmmm...my brain is a muddled mess. TGIF!

--Dan

Reply to
Dan O'Connor

... Adam's Rib was a pun restaurant name long before the 1970s.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Walthers Cornerstone.

That stuff works pretty well for that! It's my choice, also.

I have a small circuit built from Circuitron components to throw the switch machines for my return loops in the proper direction of approaching trains. A key part of it is two TC-3 turnout controls which take the signal from the detectors and power the turnout. Naturally, I fried one of the TC-3 circuits when I installed it several months ago. Soooo, after waiting months for a replacement TC-3 to come in, I finally got around to replacing the bad controller with the new one in the circuit tonight.

After I completed the work, I realized that I swapped out the *good* TC-3, and the bad one was still in the circuit. So I got to do that task twice tonight.

At least I'm getting proficient at it.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

A conversion of a HOn30 Keystone/NWSL Shay kit into a Class C Climax, using half another NWSL Shay kit.

A scratchbuilt GE 5-ton switcher, based on half of a NWSL Shay motorizing kit (see above)

A scratchbuilt coal mine.

Some track re-laying, etc, etc!

Jeff Law New Zealand

Reply to
Jeff Law

Toledo is Klinger's home town and the location of "The Mudhens". The baseball team that Klinger always rooted for.

> Yep, Chicago. What do I win?

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

When I'm drivin' in my car And that man comes on the radio He's tellin' me more and more About some useless information Supposed to fire my imagination I can't get no, oh no no no Hey hey hey, that's what I say

Eric

Dan O'C Chicago? I could have sworn it was Toledo... Or was it, that Klinger's home town is Toledo? Hmmm...my brain is a muddled mess. TGIF!

Reply to
Eric

Corporal Klinger was always raving about 'Tony Paco's (sp) Hot Dogs', and IIRC they had some of THEM shipped to Korea. They were from Toledo. I once had the honor of dining at a hamburger stand, here in Ft Myers, with the gen-u-ine Toledo Mudhens...i couldnt believe my eyes when they climbed out of the vans in their uniforms. They were in town for some kid of play-offs at the Red Sox stadium.

Reply to
Bill Donahue

Nah. Adam's RIbs? Next door has to be a fruit stand owned by....Eve.

Jay Modeling the North Shore & North Western C&NW/CNS&M in 1940-1955 Due to spam, all e-mails except those from selected addresses will be refused. Thanks for your understanding.

Reply to
JCunington

I'm half scratch half parts building a New York central L-2b 4-8-2. Also a couple of structures to act as an occasional change of pace.

Den

Reply to
Dennis E. Golden

The stretched frame works OK, but it leaves me with no place to attach the shell by screws or otherwise. I thought I'd try building my own frame more for practice because I'll have to scratch one up for my Baldwin DT-6-6-1500. So far it looks as if the Stewart frames are much simpler than Athearn's.

Jay Modeling the North Shore & North Western C&NW/CNS&M in 1940-1955 E-mail is now open snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
JCunington