DCC questions from an idiot

There are many things in the hobby that I pretty well know my stuff about. AT the club I do most of the scenery and operations as well as business of the club. I'm even allowed to do trackwork and sometimes I can even weather cars....:-)

I stay away from electrical and with ADD, reading about it is not going to happen.

We have a committee that is doing the research and is about to make the presentation to the club, but everytime I hear them talk, theres so much that is way over my head I never seem to get a straight answer to a few simple questions.

I have operated on several DCC layouts and understand that it's the greatest thing next to sliced bread. ( I actually loved Barrows layout back 10 years ago with Guiterrez's system ( I think) where you dialed up the loco with two dials on the throttle to mmatch the lead unit numbers., but I digress

We have a walkaround layount with 4 foot back drops and valances for most of the 128 foot by 24 foot layout but we do have an area that has a full wall seperating a 24 foot by 16 foot area. Someone had "tested" some wireless system ( while i was in the hospital ) and could not get it to work in that area:

even though this drawing is not up to date, the area to the far right that is in white is the area that they could not get the signals from the wireless because of the solid wall :

We know that we will need at least 6 bower blocks ( is that the right term ? )

1) IS there NOW, on the market, a system that is wireless and works well ?

2) What system ? How does it transmit ?

3 ) Ball park price based on 6 power blocks, the main system, the programing module, 12 throttles and decoders for 80 locos.

( I hope this makes sense, but remember, I'm a scenery and operations guru who only understands that when you turn the throttle, the train goes..............)

We are about to put another switching district in that I feel would be a great training ground for the guys that will be doing the DCC. I just want to make sure that we are looking down the correct road as we travel towards complete DCC.

Thanks in advance The Village Idiot

Reply to
the OTHER Mike

Go to

and select "Presentations" and then "Implementing DCC on the SMRHS Standard Gauge Layout" - might be of some help.

Reply to
Steve Caple

You just have to put receivers on both sides of the wall. Proper placement within each area is of course more involved than that, but the wall itself shouldn't be an impediment.

Yes. But keep in mind that DCC doesn't need or use power blocks quite the same as DC does.

Yes, several.

Digitrax, NCE, and EasyDCC that I know of. There may be more. Digitrax has both InfraRed and radio options. The other two are radio.

You summed up your needs rather nicely, but there are way too many variables and possibilities to even begin to speculate about the cost.

Hmmm, I haven't had problems learning DCC, (not so far, anyway) but my scenery (in)ability really sucks. Maybe we can talk... :-)

I "converted" to DCC while I was still laying track, so I have no experience converting an existing, club-sized layout. These guys did it a few years ago, maybe you can contact them and see if they can offer any info:

You're welcome. Hopefully my ramblings will be of some use.

I hardly think so...

Stevert

Reply to
Stevert