DCC recommendation ?

Your the last person I will ask unless I'm interested in

Well, dunnys (or more exactly, their contents) would be the only thing I'd expect you to be an expert on...

Back in the dunny with you...

Reply to
Joe Ellis

Yes Greg, he does. He also has a problem with anyone who is a better modeller than he is.

Perhaps I should use a 12 gauge instead?

Reply to
mark_newton

an expert after being shamed into building a

Please do. Its very funny, Terry gets upset when we have a go at him and yet its ok to do it to others I cant see a thing wrong with your diarama mark well done, and for terry all I can say is Pot Kettle Black, I suggest Terry goes back to the Hellfire club to get his humilitation fix

Terry, if you can't have anything constructive or nice to say, dont f-ing say it at all wanker.

Nathan

Reply to
glenfield_signaller

Yes, nice diorama, except that it is a diorama and therefore provides not the slightest evidence that mark can scratchbuild functional switches using the NMRA gauge, and Flynn is right, the wood only looks realistic for freshly laid, untreated ties. I don't understand the black and red ballast, either, but that's probably because he is modeling a prototype with which I am unfamiliar.

Reply to
SocSecTrainWreck

Spin and stupidity in equal measure.

It's a module. It connects to other modules. If you can't distinguish the difference between the two, consult your beloved dictionary. More spin...

It's irrelevant whether it was posted yesterday or ten years ago. You continually claim that your detractors comments have no authority without a web page to back them up, so I obliged by showing some of my work. More desperate spin from you, particularly as you claimed the URL didn't work. More lies.

Does it? How?

Really? Shows how little you know about UK OO layouts. It also shows that you lied yet again when you claimed I haven't built turnouts. More desperate spin from you...

I know your powers of observation are terribly limited, but try to go outside and look around. Wood weathers to any number of colours, from black to white, and anything in between. Are you referring to the brown painted/stained stained structures, or the sleepers? I've lost count of the number of brown wooden buildings I've seen or photographed in Japan. Many Japanese minor railways use untreated wooden sleepers, which start off a rich brown colour. You want to argue otherwise, show your proof. More desperate spin from you...

Irrelevant. But when it's convenient for me, I'll post some. And you know I will, just to spite you. Better prepare some more spin...

When are you going to post some photos of *your* weathered locos? And by weathered, I don't mean the ones covered in dust and bird droppings.

Shamed? Who, by you? LOL! Get your hand off it, Flynn. You're not an influence on my modelling.

If I'm capable of doing all this in a couple of months, then I certainly am an expert. Thanks for the compliment.

Yes, that and a couple of roller gauges I machined up on the lathe. They worked really well, too. You should try it sometime.

As noted above, the colour is correct for the prototypes being modelled. If you reckon you can prove otherwise, be my guest. Flights to Japan from Sydney are cheap at the moment. That ought to appeal to you.

Stay tuned.

Quite a few more than two, and they all work fine with their sloppy dimensions, thanks.

Why would there be scratched paint? They're gun-blued. There's no paint to scratch off. That's the way experts do it. Experts also know that the wheel doesn't run on the check or wing rail. If yours do, you need to work on them some more.

First doll's house I've ever seen with an inspection pit and workbenches. Fitter's house, more like. But if you'd like some advice on building doll-houses, ask me. My niece loves the one I built for her.

Why not show us some photos of your structures? Let's see how well-detailed and finished yours are. After all, you can't post opinions without a web-page to back them up, can you?

My prototype is flat. Is that too difficult a concept for you to grasp?

Yes, my expertly-scratchbuilt doghouse. Do show us some photo of the locos you've re-worked to be more accurate representaions of their prototypes. I'm sure that you have many excellent examples - not!

Reply to
mark_newton

It's a module. It connects to other modules.

You're joking, surely? You reckon I'd go to all the trouble of making

*non-functional* turnouts?

Which is what they're meant to represent.

The red is rust staining from the rails and fastenings. The black around the turnouts is oil staining from where the turnouts are lubricated. Get out and have a look at real track anywhere - it's not just on my prototype where this is evident.

Reply to
mark_newton

Okay then, please accept my apology. So the track *is* used then.

I don't see why you would make them functional for a diorama; it contradicts the purpose of a diorama since most functional model switches don't look as real as they could if they were non-functional (unless you're building to some finescale standard) and even if they were functional, they couldn't be used. If it's a module, though, and you've connected up the module and the switches work dependably, that's good enough for me.

Well, you succeeded.

I've never seen anything like that. I mean, really, those colors seem like they're off a checkerboard, but it could just be my monitor, or the picture lighting. It is interesting how those newly laid ties got all that rusty and oily ballast on top of them, though.

Reply to
SocSecTrainWreck

Your photo is cropped in a way that makes the difference almost impossible to distinguish.

The URL *doesn't* work if you're using a browser-based usenet client. It gives you an error message about "direct linking not allowed". Probably is not a problem with other types of usenet readers, and it works if you copy and paste the link into a browser URL box. If you don't believe me, just go to Google groups, open this thread and try clicking on your URL.

Calling this fact "desperate spin" is a little over the top.

Reply to
SocSecTrainWreck

Then get a non-lame usenet program; there are lots of them out there, and free, too.

Reply to
Steve Caple

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote: [...]

Not with Mozilla/Thunderbird.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Guess he meant a _Microsoft_ browser-based usenet client. Some folks' views of the universe of possibilities are self-limited.

Reply to
Steve Caple

I'm using Mozilla/Firefox, and it doesn't work with that, either.

Reply to
SocSecTrainWreck

What version? 1.5.0.1?

Reply to
Steve Caple

I really like the module. Fine work. Do you have any shots other than the 'aerial' photograph. I would really enjoy seeing them if you do.

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day

Yep, and it doesn't work. Face it, the link doesn't work from within a browser, or isn't supposed to. If it does it's only because the browser

*isn't* recognized as a browser. Think about it: "direct linking not allowed". What does that mean to you?

The whole point is, nobody is "lying" about the link not working; it doesn't work for browser usenet readers. OTOH, the link is not broken or a fake, it really is there if you can figure it out.

Reply to
SocSecTrainWreck

Well, I didn't say anything about lying, but I did get my train of thought sidetracked into which browser was being used. I guess I just couldn't comprehend anyone using anything but a dedicated newsreader for usenet.

My main point is what I said before, "get a non-lame usenet program; there are lots of them out there, and free, too." I use tBird for e-mail and Firefox for a browser, but I wouldn't think of using them for usenet when things like 40tude Dialog (and two or three others) are free.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Does that stuff work with Google groups? Not practically, as far as I can tell. Google has its own advantages- zero footprint and the entire group history is archived and instantly searchable.

The problem is not with the usenet reader, it has to do with the limitations of the site hosting the picture- no html links.

Reply to
SocSecTrainWreck

Links work from Thunderbird IME. If they're highlighted, they work, ie, Moz starts, and does its thing. If the link doesn't work, the failure is in the browser, not in the Usenet reader, as I understand it.

If you're using a firewall, you may have to fiddle with the privacy settings for some websites to work properly. Zone Alarm, for example, is paranoid about allowing a website to open a window.

Some ISPs will not relay (pass on) a request for a link to some websites, for security reasons, and some websites will refuse a request from some ISPs, for the same reasons. (This can also happen with e-mail.) IOW, a link may not work for a number of reasons.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net spake thus:

As you probably know, Google has its own set of problems, whatever its advantages. For instance, in another group I read, there's a guy who likes to use Google's "delete message" feature to edit his postings. Within Google, all looks to be well. However, anyone using a NNTP-based client to read the newsgroup sees all the "deleted" messages, since not many news hosts honor cancel requests.

I still can't see why someone would want to use a web-based host to read and post to newsgroups: slow and cumbersome. But that's just me. (I use Thunderbird, which is very adequate.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Do check out Dialog

Reply to