Digital Railroader Recommends These Indespensable Tools

Over the years, we've found several tools that we would not want to be without. Most of these can be purchased from Micro-Mark, some you may be able to find at your local hobby shop, and the last one you will be able to find at the corner drug store.

Model paints should not be shaken to mix them! The paint that adheres to the cover will evaporate quickly, and the dried paint will eventually find its way back into the jar, making it easy to clog an airbrush. The perfect tool is the battery operated paint mixer (requires 2 AA batteries)! It comes with a spin disk attached to a metal rod that is inserted into the handle. The device is easily operated with one hand. Just press the rocker switch on the side of the handle, and release when you're done. To clean, spin in a bottle of thinner.

The next indespensable tool is the soft foam cradle. The one we bought has two different size slots running the length of the cradle. These are meant to hold different size objects, for example, locomotives turned upside down to get at the couplers. Having a choice of slots to hold a model will allow you to choose one that will protect fragile detail parts on top of the locomotive.

Press the plunger at the top of The Gripster and stainless steel prongs emerge from the tip. Release pressure on the plunger and the prongs close around the object, gripping it tightly. Position, insert or start screws, nuts and other small parts easily. The tool is five inches long overall and holds parts up to 5/8 of an inch. When working in confined spaces where your fingers just don't fit, The Gripster is the perfect tool.

Last but not least, we found a super-glue that's really special. It's called "Plastic Surgery" and we discovered it at Walgreens! It has a new applicator that is drip- and clog-proof. You squeeze the tube in the center, and when you're done, the tube decompresses and sucks in the glue that was in the tip!

Don't forget to bookmark our website and check out the new articles on our in-house layout. The URL is...

Frank Eva