Electrical question

I bought a GG1 unknown manufacturer on EBay. Runs like a top, real smooth fairly quiet. However as it goes by I can really pick up the smell of ozone
from the motor. Any thoughts as to why?
Also I've debated setting up a section of track to run GG1's and other overhead wired locos. Anyone ever see any plans or know who might make an overhead wire system? One that it gets it's power from the wire! Poles & the wire I guess is what I'm looking for.
Tim C.
In a message on Tue, 02 Aug 2005 17:12:52 GMT, wrote :
"C> I bought a GG1 unknown manufacturer on EBay. Runs like a top, real smooth "C> fairly quiet. However as it goes by I can really pick up the smell of ozone "C> from the motor. Any thoughts as to why?
Probably needs some cleaning, but might be normal for an older model. It is probably a common PM commutator motor and it is arcing some -- the arcing is causing the ozone. Re-powering it with a modern can motor can also cure it of the ozone smell.
"C> "C> Also I've debated setting up a section of track to run GG1's and other "C> overhead wired locos. Anyone ever see any plans or know who might make an "C> overhead wire system? One that it gets it's power from the wire! Poles & the "C> wire I guess is what I'm looking for.
Do a google search for 'Trolley' -- this will get you close. Technically, trolley wiring (as in Brills or PCCs or LRVs) is rather different from what GG1s and the like (AEM7s, etc) run under, it is going to be hard to find anything in the way of *functional* overhead wiring. Lots of model plastic towers, but they are not strong enough to support copper wire under tension. Working model (overhead) trolley setups use brass trolley support poles and phosphor-bronze wire, with cast brass or bronze fittings. The sorts of 'steel' towers used by high-voltage electric locos (like GG1s) are different. You'll probably have to hand make them from brass or something. You can probably use the phosphor-bronze trolley wire, though. Getting a *working* pantograph will likely also be interesting as well.
"C> "C> Tim C. "C> "C> "C>
\/ Robert Heller ||InterNet: snipped-for-privacy@cs.umass.edu http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~heller || snipped-for-privacy@deepsoft.com http://www.deepsoft.com /\FidoNet: 1:321/153

Model Memories does PRR and New Haven Overhead. GG1 only ran on PRR from Harrisburg or DC to New York.
Jim Stewart

Look on http://www.2guyzandsumtrains.com/index.php
One of the regulars there is building a layout based on GG1 type power and posted a tutorial on making poles for the overhead. A recent post of his in one of the forums has a bunch of pictures of his layout construction project.
Norman Morgan <> http://www.norm-morgan.com
Robert Heller wrote:

"Model catenary" would probably come closer to what he's looking for.
--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me
Rick Jones wrote:

Do a google search for "Sommerfeldt" or "Viesmann"
mark_newton schrieb:

"Viessmann" will bring you closer to the result, which is:
http://www.viessmann-modell.com/en/aktuell/inhalt.php
http://www.viessmann-modell.com/en/produkte/ho.php?id=3&gr_nr=2&sprache_nr=2
Sommerfeldt is at:
http://www.sommerfeldt.de /
However, both Sommerfeldt and Viessmann have various European prototypes. I am not aware of any ready-made overhead wire system of USA prototype. From what I have seen when I was in New Jersey, the system used on the northeast corridor is quite different from what can be found in Europe, so you probably have to scratchbuild your own system to come close to the prototype.
--
tobias benjamin khler ____________________________________ snipped-for-privacy@uncia.de
._______..__________.._______.._________. <>_<> <>_<>
Robert Heller wrote:
> Do a google search for 'Trolley' -- this will get you close. > Technically, trolley wiring (as in Brills or PCCs or LRVs) is rather > different from what GG1s and the like (AEM7s, etc) run under, it is > going to be hard to find anything in the way of *functional* overhead > wiring.
Functional catenary is made by Sommerfeldt, Viessman, Vollmer, and others. All should be readily available in the US.
> Lots of model plastic towers, but they are not strong enough to > support copper wire under tension. Working model (overhead) trolley > setups use brass trolley support poles and phosphor-bronze wire, with > cast brass or bronze fittings. The sorts of 'steel' towers used by > high-voltage electric locos (like GG1s) are different. You'll > probably have to hand make them from brass or something. You can > probably use the phosphor-bronze trolley wire, though. Getting a > *working* pantograph will likely also be interesting as well.
Sommerfeldt, again, for starters.
Tim, Model Railroader has had several articles about erecting wire. Check with them. Is the motor an open frame?
Tim Coyle wrote:

Tim Coyle wrote:

Scale?
Try:
http://www.google.com/search?q=ho+catenary
&
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=ho+catenary
for HO equipment. You get the idea for other scales...
Rob

You obviously got a rare loco with a "prototypical smell" unit installed. Although a nice feature on some models, I'd *strongly* suggest not buying the companion stock car.
I got the chemical tank car. Had a bad derailment with it and the car sank through the foam scenery that I do. Big mess all around!

check the brushes
Tim wrote: TimCoyle) I bought a GG1 unknown manufacturer on EBay. Runs like a top, real smooth fairly quiet. However as it goes by I can really pick up the smell of ozone from the motor. Any thoughts as to why? Also I've debated setting up a section of track to run GG1's and other overhead wired locos. Anyone ever see any plans or know who might make an overhead wire system? One that it gets it's power from the wire! Poles & the wire I guess is what I'm looking for. ------------------------------------------------- I believe Model Memories as Pennsylvania Railroad type catenary towers. As for the ozone smell, I seem to remember smelling ozone when a real GG1 whizzed by.
http://www.info-4u.com/modelmemories/mainpic.htm
Best of luck with your electrification project.
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire N Scale Model Railroad: http://www.billsrailroad.net Brief History of N Scale: http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale Model Railroad Bookstore: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore Resources--Links to 1,100 sites: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links
Keep running the machine.... Help replace the ozone layer....
Model Yesteryears (IIRC) has the Pennsy type catenary. Sommerfeldt and Viessman have the most realistic operational catenary and the time put in is well worth the while....
--
+GF+

"I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to make