Walther's swing bridge

I just finished the Walther's swing bridge. It is a nice looking kit, it runs very smoothly. there were two modifications that I made. the first was
to mount the second switch (the one that they put on the abutment to turn off the motor, under the platform 90 degrees from the other switch. I then wired them directly to the wires for the motor. They don't tell you that the switches are specific for the direction of travel, so I had to reverse the red and black leads from the switches to the motor. The colors were corrected when I wired directly to the motor. But IT WORKS!!!!!!! very smooth, and very quiet. Unlike the rolling bridge which is very noisy and the contacts did not hold up well, so I have to make sure that I turn the motor off.
I made the bridge a 'dual mode' bridge. One side for rail and the other for a single lane road. The bridge leads into the Port of Michelle's Lee, which is a fairly busy port for Lake freighters and car floats. There is also an elevator co-op where LBL lading is handled. There are about a dozen silos that are owned by different companies, but the handling of the product is done by the 'co-operative' management and rolling stock is called in to transport each product to its respective owner.
There will also be a waterfront park on a peninsular that juts into the lake.
Pictures, please!
- RWM
Frank Rosenbaum wrote:

--
R.W. Mann & Company, Inc. >> Airline Industry Analysis
Port Washington, NY 11050 >> tel 516-944-0900, fax -7280

Thanks. Your excellent written description parked the interest.
- RWM
Frank Rosenbaum wrote:

OOps, sorry bout that. I meant to hit reply to, not group.

Ya know we use "Flickr" www.flickr.com for pictures and are starting to use "YouTube" www.youtube.com for videos on another usenet group. Most of the picture oriented people post there and reference with links. It works very well...
Rich, Thanks for those links!!!! I have posted my bridge pictures on flickr. They are titled "Bridge to Michelle's Lee". If you want to see them. I think I will be taking lots of pictures now. (G) I probably will also post the pictures that I took of my club.
I also subscribed to youtube as well. It will be a great place to air my DVD's.
If you get a chance, watch the "Crossbar" video. The guy is fantastic.

Ok, the next step for you is to post the link(s) here... It's good advertising after all... And you're very welcome!

parked? hehehe...
I built that bridge, too. My only complaint is that getting the bridge to stop exactly correctly takes some patience. I wound up resigned to the fact that when closing the bridge, it might be just a teensy bit off from time to time, and that it would derail trains. So I use some rail joiners to lock it in place after I close it (which is its usual position). So, opening and closing requires the "hand of almighty creator (that's me)" to unlock it prior to moving it. I find that the only time I move it is for visitors or just to amuse myself, that is not a big problem for me.
I painted mine flat aluminum (Polyscale and airbrushed on) to simulate many of the bridges I see around here. I uses an india ink black wash to age it a bit to simulate dirt.
Ed
in article 0lCyf.805$ snipped-for-privacy@fe05.lga, Frank Rosenbaum at snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote on 1/15/06 5:06 PM:

--
Ed Oates
http://homepage.mac.com/edoates
in article BFF15743.1246B% snipped-for-privacy@unearthlylink.net, Edward A. Oates at snipped-for-privacy@unearthlylink.net wrote on 1/16/06 1:59 PM:

--
Ed Oates
http://homepage.mac.com/edoates
That is a nice looking layout, Ed. Thanks for sharing it with us.
I wonder if the alignment could be corrected by moving the abutment that has the switch on it. Of course that would mean realigning the track leading from the bridge.
wrote on 1/15/06 5:06 PM:

I played with lots of stuff and found that various friction changes moved the track as much as 1/32" one way or the other (for a total of a 1/16" "error" bar). I will work on it again when I get to the scenic'ing part and have some disassembly of the bridge to do. I need to pour some water in the "river" over which the bridge crosses.
Ed