Estimating the Sale Price of a Layout

As I've mentioned in other threads recently, I have an HO layout I built for my kids 22 years ago that has been virtually untouched since. It's
time to sell it. I've been cleaning up things, and still have some more work to do to check things out.
At some point I need to sell it, and want to get a grip on a price. First, I thought I'd like to understand the prices of various components. The layout is on a 6x4 plywood platform, has two levels of interconnected Atlas 9" tracks (40 feet of maybe), and two short spurs, two switches. power transformer (Tech 2 (II?) railmaster 2400), Athearn diesel engine (EMD SD-9), 7 Athearn cars, 6-7 plastic buildings, two crossing signals (part of switch?), a few small figures and vehicles, extra switch, lighting for buildings, a bag of fake shrubs, a box of 12 assorted track parts and sections, 50 elevation supports, and a dozen spare 9" tracks. I have all the boxes, and all is good condition.
At a local hobby shop with a depleted supply of train equipment, owner died, and new owners are shifting to to model racing cars, I made some estimates. Diesel engine probably cost me $60, and they sell for about that price now. Cars (caboose, flatcar, ...) are anywhere from $4 to $9, buildings $3 to $5, switches $12-15. I couldn't get a good estimate on 9" straight track sections, but according a package I have from years ago they were selling at about $0.40. I plan to sell it as a layout rather than disassemble it all and sell it that way. Maybe someone can update me on prices?
Look up Walthers for their latest catalogue.
--
Cheers.

Roger T.
On 8/24/2009 9:54 AM W. eWatson spake thus:

Can't do that, but I can see where you're going with this; I hate to disappoint you, but what you ought to do is come up with a figure for what you *think* the layout is worth, divide it by 10, and be happy if you get half of that.
Seriously.

"David Nebenzahl"

Sadly very good advice. 20 year old Athearn stuff is not worth much these days, the quality of the products has improved beyond belief. I have some 20 or more 1980s vintage Athearn locos that have being sitting on storage shelves for years as they just no longer look as good nor operate as well as the newer models. Even the Athearn Blue Box rolling stock of the same era is slowly being replaced, which is painful as it's all been weathered and in many cases, redecaled for both the home road and t give me more Canadian and North Eastern U.S. roadnames.
--
Cheers.

Roger T.

Alas; probably true. But it never hurts to start with a high asking price so long as you're willing to go way down if nobody bites.
After all, you can't very well do it the other way around, and there *is* one born every minute.
~Pete

Pete, you're lookig for a layout ? < insert smart remark here>

Nope. I've foud one.
(Bows to crowd, exits to stage left.)
On 8/24/2009 10:37 PM Twibil spake thus:

I hope both your colds clear up soon. Hate to have a code in my node.

Twibil wrote:

In contrast the comments above, a former owner of a railroad store and hawking for another railroad store, but new, 30 miles from here sized it up as $25-300. Maybe. Well, if I'm going to get $20 for it, then I can stop cleaning the tracks and equipment. :-) Maybe at Christmas.

FWIW here is a slightly different suggestion. Donate these items to a recognized charity such as Goodwill. Use a realistic estimated value for same on Form A of your 1040. You may do much better than the $12.50 or $20.00 figures mentioned so far. A more exact figure is impossible without knowing your tax personal situation, and, of course, it assumes that you itemize rather than utilize a standard deduction.
HTH
Jerry
On 8/25/2009 4:20 PM snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spake thus:

Hate to throw cold water on what seems like a reasonable suggestion, but Goodwill is about the last place I'd suggest donating a layout. Have you been in any Goodwill stores lately? They're *very* selective about what they sell. Even though so much that they put out is basically crap, it's crap that's chosen to not look too "messy" or out-of-date. The chances of them actually displaying a layout in one of their stores is vanishingly small.
On the other hand, there may be other places that might take it. 'Round heah', in Berkeley, my favorite recycled-goods store, Urban Ore, currently has a small HO layout for sale. No guarantee it will, but it is there.

W. eWatson wrote:

    Possibly your local Children's Hospital might be a good place to make enquiries as to whether they have a model railroad there for the children to view. Here in Halifax we have this at the IWK Health Centre Foundation> The children and visitors alike thoroughly enjoy the railroad.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

You might be right, $12.50. :-)
On 8/25/2009 3:26 PM W. eWatson spake thus:

Think of it as free beer. (Or whatever your favorite poison is.)

Of course, a more accurate method than any offered here is a comparison against existing sales. For that, Ebay is the magic word. I'll be checking it out over the next several days.

Hang out at the hobby shop around Christmas until you hear some poor dad saying "son, I just don't have time right now to build a layout" Then follow him into a dark alley and ope your trench coat with pictures of the layout glued to the inside .......
When ever we get stuck with someones old donated layout at the club, we usually give it away to some deserving kid........find a dad thats willing to barter
the OTHER Mike wrote:

Do I hear $50? Ladies and gentlemen certainly this fine keepsake ...