From HO to N

I am seriously considering of changing over to N scale due to space issues. This is a big change for me because I have been using HO for 35 years now. I
do have some questions though.
Who makes good engines for the price? I know years ago the N scale engines were not very good, but I have heard they are much better today. Also I intend on using code 55 and would like to hear any pros or cons about this.
I am well aware of the eyesight problems working on this small of a scale, but that is what they make strong glasses for.
Would especially like to hear from people who are modeling in N scale or those who have in the past.
Thank you in advance
Chris

Good engines - Kato, Atlas http://www.katousa.com / http://www.atlasrr.com /
I am living in Europe, and I am about to order a lot of Unitrack from Kato (availability is limited here, but I found a shop with good connections to America and Kato) http://www.katousa.com/N/unitrack.html http://www.atlasrr.com/Trackmisc/ncode55.htm http://www.atlasrr.com/Trackmisc/ncode80.htm
Maybe you also can look here: http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/forumdisplay.php?f 0 http://forum.atlasrr.com / - Forums - N Scale Model Railroad Forum
--
Fred W. (NL)

Good engines, Kato, Atlas and pricewise the newer Life-Like/Proto
I know years ago the N scale engines

The Kato's and Atlas engines can crawl like any H0 engine, if you are going to N-scale and are not on DCC with your H0 I would advise to go to DCC while your at it.
Also I

Atlas makes a very nice looking code 55, its more prototypical then for instance Peco, con of Atlas (but shouldn't be a problem seeing your starting in N-scale) is you have to have low flange wheels otherwise the wheels hit the inside plastic of the track. micro engineering also make very nice code 55 but is a bit steep in price compaired to Atlas.

I have several pairs of reading glasses and a lighted loupe, I use them mostly when building and painting structures and vehicles.

Sometimes when my fingers seem just to big I get frustrated and think "I wish I was doing H0 " but most of the time I look and see how much landscape I can get into my layout room and how long my trains can be without arriving at the next station before the end car has left the other station.
Equipment , structures, scenery in N-scale has evolved so much that you can do almost anything you want just like in H0
May I suggest looking into a few online shops that either secialize in or have a vast assortment of N-scale
Wig Wag http://www.wig-wag-trains.com/ Great pricing, and contact ( you almost think its your neighborhood shop ) MB Klein http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=3 Good webshop with good pricing fast delivery and live In Stock count. I also buy on Ebay and 2 of my favourite sellers are Egatco and Mostly Trains
Hope to have been of some help and welcome to the Normal scale community ;-)) Jan
__________ Informatie van ESET Smart Security, versie van database viruskenmerken 4664 (20091206) __________
Het bericht is gecontroleerd door ESET Smart Security.
http://www.eset.com
On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 18:51:21 +0100, "Jan \( Bouli \) Van Gerwen"

Isn't it time, you get rid of this commercial? ;-))
- Advanced setup - Antivirus and antispyware - Email client protection and there - Append tag messages .... may I suggest you choose: "to infected mail only" (and please do this twice?)
--
Fred W. (NL)

Thanks Fred , had no idea.
Greetz Jan
On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 21:56:19 +0100, "Jan \( Bouli \) Van Gerwen"

Thank you, glad I could help. (the commercial was also visible in de.rec.modelle.bahn.) :-))
--
Fred W. (NL)

I am seriously considering of changing over to N scale due to space issues. This is a big change for me because I have been using HO for 35 years now. I do have some questions though.
Who makes good engines for the price? I know years ago the N scale engines were not very good, but I have heard they are much better today. Also I intend on using code 55 and would like to hear any pros or cons about this.
I am well aware of the eyesight problems working on this small of a scale, but that is what they make strong glasses for.
Would especially like to hear from people who are modeling in N scale or those who have in the past.
Thank you in advance
Chris ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I would add that the Walthers (formerly LifeLike) locos are also quite good, as are the Athearn (recent newcomer to the N arena). I like the recent Model Power steam locos - look good, run smooth, but a bit weak on pulling power. The MP steamers are very easily converted to DCC.
Val N and only N