G Gauge Scaling

Greetings,

Should an entire line be of the same scale (i.e. 1:20.3)?

Yes, I am a neophyte.

Thanks

Reply to
Darryl

First and foremost, remember that model railroading is a hobby for fun, so that it is most important that you do what makes you happy. If running a potpourri of equipment makes you happy, that's perfectly OK.

Many people do prefer to run trains of equipment that look plausible together - all European narrow gauge, all Colorado 3' gauge, or all modern or all older US standard gauge. Doing this tends to result in modeling to a common scale - 1:22.5 to represent European meter gauge, 1:20.3 to represent US 3' gauge, 1:32 to represent US standard gauge if you can afford those fine Aster models, or 1:29 (or thereabouts) to represent standard gauge with more affordable Aristo, etc. equipment.

For myself, I am preparing to run a motley collection acquired on a good deal from a friend and supplemented by bargains at shows - an LGB Coloradoish 2-6-0, a few REA & MDC standard gauge prototype freight cars, an MDC narrow gauge caboose, and some Bachmann passenger cars of mixed Colorado narrow gauge and Sierra RR standard gauge parentage. I think it all looks OK together for now, but if I find some bargain narrow gauge prototype freight cars, I may replace the REA rolling stock. But that's more to satisfy my eye than a strict sense of scale - after all, my layout vegetation is 1:1 azaleas, boxwoods and dogwoods. Gary Q

Reply to
Geezer

That depends on your modeling philosophy. If you want a scale model railroad, then everything should be to the same scale. If you just want to run trains, then they don't all have to be to the same scale.

Small cars build to a large scale come out pretty close to large cars built to a smaller scale. The biggest problem may be couplers and coupler heights. In that case you can use the universal coupler - a twist tie.

Reply to
<wkaiser

Depends upon what you are doing. I've known of layouts that used 2 or even

3 scales to provide a perception of depth to the layout that it otherwise wouldn't have had but those scales were seperated by scenery to a very large degree so that the changes in scale didn't clash. In addition, there are sometimes Z scale layouts on O scale layouts that represent large scale tourist trains in a park, etc., sometimes with people perched on/in the cars.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

We were all neophyte's at one time or other. Welcome to model railroading.

It's you railroad, so what you do is up to you.

With 'Large Scale' some folks stick to one size, others mix and match whatever suits their fancy. The only thing I suggest is try to keep the cars and loco within an individual train proportional to each other, even if different trains within your empire are not.

Visually, seeing a 1:32 scale train passing a 1:20.3 train is not as jarring as seeing a 1:32 tank car being pulled between two

1:20.3 American standard gauge 40' box cars.

Len

Reply to
Len

Some modelers stick to a single scale, and are real "rivit counters". Others, like myself, run what ever we like. If it looks good and we like it. It's on the layout, and it's going to run. It's your railroad and little world. Run it your way.

Bill H.

Reply to
LGBer0672