Highest Quality HO Trains

IT IS A MIRACLE STEVE IS POSTING ABOUT TRAINS WITHOUT BASHING PEOPLE!
THANK YOU GOD AND STEVE FOR CHANGING.
Kato makes the highest quality other than brass.

I haven't had this sort of derailment yet. The HO layout is about 60"x70" (22" radius curves if I recall correctly.) The Polar Express layout is 50"x50" (O-36 FasTrack curves).
I've run both flat out and never had a derailment, other than some problems with a couple of poorly aligned Bachmann EZ Track sections causing a single car to jump the track and scrap along until it passes over the rerailer. The only fix was to pill that section of track and turn it around.
I haven't done this since I was a teenager and I can't recall a loco derailing on a curve at high speeds then either. Though I do recall having the whole consist tip over.
Robert Heller wrote:

Mark's entire purpose in life is to prove me wrong. (I should be flattered, but being wrong in public at least brings to light information I don't know)
Does overheating and burning out traction motors while attempting to run at 1 mph constitute being able to run at that speed or not being able to run at that speed? It's a pedantic point and Mark wins at a very high prototype cost.

Has their track degenerated to such a bad state??? ;-)
Regards, Greg.P.

No, they are just using a single 4,400HP engine to pull a *long*, *heavy* coal train, rather than using 2-4 3,000HP engines. The trains are 'under powered' for anything like rapid acceleration, so the train creeps along and *slowly* accelerates. Doing this with DC traction motors will litterally burn them up. Yes, you can go at 1mph with DC traction, just not for very long. If you cannot get 'up to speed' before the motors burn, you are in trouble. The AC traction motors can run at slow speeds for hours and hours if it takes that long to accelerate. Since there is no rush to haul the coal, the RR's figure that using a single unit saves money.
BTW: this is all described on the high-horsepower special edition DVD put out by MR (part of their 'Dream, Plan, Build' series).

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
Robert Heller wrote:

There are much more interesting things in life than MR DVDs! OTOH, really slow trains make one's layout seem much bigger than TGVs roaring through at a scale 300km/hr. That's why I model old-time steam.

Learnign is always good. Come to think of it, I have two engineers in the family (and uncle and his son.) I've only seen them at weddings and funerals, but I should ask some questions next time. My uncle survived two horrific train wrecks (neither was his fault.)

Aren't their prototypical Goo-Gone tankers with track cleaning pads to handle such things? One would hope so. I'd hate to be the guy who has to crawl over of miles of track with a spray bottle and a rag...
Greg Procter wrote:

Greg, if you were to refrain from making dogmatic assertions about things you have no knowledge of, I'd have no reason to correct you. There are plenty of subjects where you *are* very knowledgable - why not stick to them?

You're ignoring the fact that steam and diesel mechanical/hydraulic locos can do it too, without incurring damage.
Cheers,
Mark.
First you have to use foul language again here, now you are again trying to post about something you know NOTHING about? We know what you do which is search the internet for some information on a topic, cut and paste bits and pieces, and then post as if you were an expert.
You are not fooling anyone.
So now you are a traction motor expert? What next, how about telling us all about Fusion I am sure you are an 'expert' on that too right "Mark"????
Lying is a sin Mark keep that in mind. I am still praying for you.
Markthe foul mouth liar Newton wrote:

Mark Newton wrote:

My comment was correct in the general sense - DC motored Diesels and steam locos. I'm sure you can always find some obscure exception to any general statement.
With the exception of such situations as bulk hopper wagon trains being pushed through (automatic) loading and unloading facilities there is no reason to run a heavy train at very slow speeds continuously. As the means to achieve such slow speeds is usually both complicated and expensive it is a facility not often included in locomotive design. ie the few locos capable are _exceptions_

Steam locomotives can't do it. (with specific exceptions) Once the regulator/throttle is opened with the loco stopped the valve chest is filled with boiler pressure steam - when a valve allows steam into the cylinder it immeadiately reaches boiler pressure and maximum TE is developed. If the cut-off is set at minimum the the valves cut steam so that the steam expands, reducing piston thrust as it moves. There is definitely a minimum speed at which a steam loco will run. Diesel hydraulics can run at low speeds through slipage of the hydraulic coupling but the wasted power is translated as heat, so speeds below walking speed are very much time limited. Diesel mechanical locos are much like cars/trucks/buses - the motor is mechanically connected to the wheels so motor idle speed in the lowest gear is the minimum speed. To move any load the motor must be rev'ed to create sufficient power which then increases the minimum speed. I suppose downhill with the train pushing the loco you could travel below walking speed but ... <sheesh>
Steam loco exception; The NZR Fell locos on the Rumituka incline had secondary inside cylinders geared for operation at speeds around 2-15(?)mph The effective Fell rail driver size was about half that of the rail drivers. Each loco had two separate exhaust beats at different rates and could haul around 100 tons. The normal trains needed 3-5 locos spread through the train which created interesting aural effects.

Greg Procter wrote:

Bulk loading and unloading facilities, wash plants, sheds, depots workshops, yards - are these your ideas of "obscure exceptions"?

Agreed, up to a point. But as usual you're attempting to wriggle out of the corner you've got yourself in by qualifying or otherwise changing your original statement, and hoping I won't notice. Your original statement was categorical - "prototype locos can't run at 1 mph". Nothing about running heavy trains at slow speeds continuously...

What a load of hot cock. How much experience do you have driving steam, Greg? Very little or none, I'd say, or you wouldn't make such a stupid claim.

LOL! Your theoretical decription of events is flat-out wrong. And sadly for you, I have engine indicator diagrams to back me up.

My oath there is - below walking speed. Try it sometime...
More lies from the Mark who has yet to explain one word how he is such an 'expert' on anything let alone steam locomotives.
Still waiting Mark on your explanation........
Mark Newton wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@aim.com skriver:

More shit from you.
Have you tried to post anythig relevant in this group ?
Klaus (who has run a small steam engning at walking speed)
Mr. Foul mouth. I have posted 10 times more relevant to this group than you. All you do is swear and write in gibberish and use a fake name to double post. Model trains, can you even spell that (in English not baby talk).
And what is an engning? NO WONDER we know you are clueless about steam.
Klaus D.fake name Mikkelsen wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@aim.com skriver:

ROFL, try to resolve my ip address...

Can you recommend a good church ?
Klaus
Fake German you can fake anything.
Klaus D. Mikkelsen wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@aim.com skriver:

But, if I'm Steve, how can I then be German ?
And if I'm German, how can i speak Danish ?
Der er et yndigt landt, det str ved brede ge, nr salten sterstrand, nr salten sterstrand. Det breder sig i bakkedal, det hedder gamle Danmark og det er Fjers sal og det er Frejas sal.
Klaus

The First Church of Curt "I swallow" Mchere
Paul^H^H^H^H Steve the Other
You are pathetic Steve. Keep posting the world is laughing at you Steve not with you.
Steve Stevenson wrote:

Am I in any way required to apologize for asking what the highest quality HO trains are? I had no idea the thread would come to this.
How about this... if I were looking for a nice HO scale Chessie diesel (Blue, orange, yellow livery) in the ~$250 range, what models might I want to look at? No need for DCC - that is too far in the future to consider.
Spender skriver:

No not at all

Welcome to usenet.
Klaus