Highest Quality HO Trains

Learnign is always good. Come to think of it, I have two engineers in the family (and uncle and his son.) I've only seen them at weddings and funerals, but I should ask some questions next time. My uncle survived two horrific train wrecks (neither was his fault.)

Aren't their prototypical Goo-Gone tankers with track cleaning pads to handle such things? One would hope so. I'd hate to be the guy who has to crawl over of miles of track with a spray bottle and a rag...

Reply to
Spender

Jon Miller

Spender skriver:

You can't

But the weight of the diecast is not much higher than on those with an outer plastic shell.

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

You can if you try. It depends on how far the manufacturer wants to go in producing detail.

Yes, I suppose the train can be weighted the same by other methods. I guess I meant to say I like the feel of the die-cast weight. Rapping on it with your knuckles and feeling how solid it is, etc.

Reply to
Spender

Klaus D. Mikkelsen spake thus:

Why do you say that? I think that's an unsupportable proposition; I've seen some diecast (meaning metal) models with incredible detail. Depends, of course, on the detail in the mold masters and the care taken in casting.

I think plastic is inherently not quite as "crisp", as corners tend to get rounded just a little bit in plastic, but not in metal.

Not that plastic models can't be pretty damn good, though.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Agreed. Prolonged low-speed running was not something we'd do any more than was necessary.

One of our shunting/switching locos was a diesel-hydraulic unit, specifically designed for low speed use.

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Greg, if you were to refrain from making dogmatic assertions about things you have no knowledge of, I'd have no reason to correct you. There are plenty of subjects where you *are* very knowledgable - why not stick to them?

You're ignoring the fact that steam and diesel mechanical/hydraulic locos can do it too, without incurring damage.

Cheers,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

First you have to use foul language again here, now you are again trying to post about something you know NOTHING about? We know what you do which is search the internet for some information on a topic, cut and paste bits and pieces, and then post as if you were an expert.

You are not fooling anyone.

So now you are a traction motor expert? What next, how about telling us all about Fusion I am sure you are an 'expert' on that too right "Mark"????

Lying is a sin Mark keep that in mind. I am still praying for you.

Markthe foul mouth liar Newt>

Reply to
curtmchere

My comment was correct in the general sense - DC motored Diesels and steam locos. I'm sure you can always find some obscure exception to any general statement.

With the exception of such situations as bulk hopper wagon trains being pushed through (automatic) loading and unloading facilities there is no reason to run a heavy train at very slow speeds continuously. As the means to achieve such slow speeds is usually both complicated and expensive it is a facility not often included in locomotive design. ie the few locos capable are _exceptions_

Steam locomotives can't do it. (with specific exceptions) Once the regulator/throttle is opened with the loco stopped the valve chest is filled with boiler pressure steam - when a valve allows steam into the cylinder it immeadiately reaches boiler pressure and maximum TE is developed. If the cut-off is set at minimum the the valves cut steam so that the steam expands, reducing piston thrust as it moves. There is definitely a minimum speed at which a steam loco will run. Diesel hydraulics can run at low speeds through slipage of the hydraulic coupling but the wasted power is translated as heat, so speeds below walking speed are very much time limited. Diesel mechanical locos are much like cars/trucks/buses - the motor is mechanically connected to the wheels so motor idle speed in the lowest gear is the minimum speed. To move any load the motor must be rev'ed to create sufficient power which then increases the minimum speed. I suppose downhill with the train pushing the loco you could travel below walking speed but ...

Steam loco exception; The NZR Fell locos on the Rumituka incline had secondary inside cylinders geared for operation at speeds around

2-15(?)mph The effective Fell rail driver size was about half that of the rail drivers. Each loco had two separate exhaust beats at different rates and could haul around 100 tons. The normal trains needed 3-5 locos spread through the train which created interesting aural effects.
Reply to
Greg Procter

Yep. I have a personal fondness for the Roundhouse metal kits and the Ulrich hopper cars from years ago.

Reply to
Rick Jones

Bulk loading and unloading facilities, wash plants, sheds, depots workshops, yards - are these your ideas of "obscure exceptions"?

Agreed, up to a point. But as usual you're attempting to wriggle out of the corner you've got yourself in by qualifying or otherwise changing your original statement, and hoping I won't notice. Your original statement was categorical - "prototype locos can't run at 1 mph". Nothing about running heavy trains at slow speeds continuously...

What a load of hot c*ck. How much experience do you have driving steam, Greg? Very little or none, I'd say, or you wouldn't make such a stupid claim.

LOL! Your theoretical decription of events is flat-out wrong. And sadly for you, I have engine indicator diagrams to back me up.

My oath there is - below walking speed. Try it sometime...

Reply to
Mark Newton

More lies from the Mark who has yet to explain one word how he is such an 'expert' on anything let alone steam locomotives.

Still wait> Greg Procter wrote:

Reply to
curtmchere

snipped-for-privacy@aim.com skriver:

More shit from you.

Have you tried to post anythig relevant in this group ?

Klaus (who has run a small steam engning at walking speed)

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

In the sense of fractional mph/kmph speed operation, yes.

So what control settings do you put your suburban MUs on to run them a

1mph for longer distances?

Not a great deal of experience - up and down the local preservation soc track and a couple of cab rides.

Hmm, boiler pressure > regulator/throttle > steam chest. The "regulator" is a variable arpiture so if you open it the steam flows through until it fills all the voids beyond to boiler pressure. It is _not_ a pressure regulator, it is a volume restrictor. Indicator diagrams show pressure under movement - otherwise they are simple pressure gauges.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Mr. Foul mouth. I have posted 10 times more relevant to this group than you. All you do is swear and write in gibberish and use a fake name to double post. Model trains, can you even spell that (in English not baby talk).

And what is an engn> More shit from you.

Reply to
curtmchere

snipped-for-privacy@aim.com skriver:

ROFL, try to resolve my ip address...

Can you recommend a good church ?

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

Mark Newton skriver:

Oh, I thought it was his brother who was his fater.

But again amish people are not allowed acces to internet are they ???

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

Fake German you can fake anything.

Klaus D. Mikkelsen wrote:

Reply to
curtmchere

The First Church of Curt "I swallow" Mchere

Paul^H^H^H^H Steve the Other

Reply to
Steve Stevenson

You are pathetic Steve. Keep posting the world is laughing at you Steve not with you.

Steve Stevens> > > snipped-for-privacy@aim.com skriver:

Reply to
curtmchere