Trains of Thought

Since so many models are available as undecorated, why do I have so much trouble finding prototype photos of that railroad?

If cabooses are painted caboose red and reefers are painted reefer orange, does that mean that flatcars should be painted flat black?

Why are some flat cars depressed? Do they have a low opinion of themselves?

Does moving train cars with your fingers qualify as digital control?

If the person who steers a gondola is a gondolier, shouldn't the person who operates an engine be an enginier?

If a locomotive has troubles with a grade, does it have to take the class over?

If GP diesel units are called "geeps," why aren't SD units called "seeds?"

What is the plural of "caboose?"

Why do they call it nickel silver rail anyway? You can't possibly get that much silver for a nickel.

If alpha cyanoacrylate glue sticks so well, how come you're able to get it out of the container in the first place?

Will Life-Like ever update the name of their Proto 2000 kits to keep up with the times?

Why is it called L-girder framing when the girders are shaped more like a 7?

Why did Amtrak have to spend so much money developing the Acela high speed train? Couldn't they have just installed a full-sized version of the rubber band drive used by the Athearn Hustler locomotive?

Should reruns of the TV show "Tracks Ahead" be called "Tracks Behind?"

Are operators of a train on the New Orleans Public Belt Railroad called a train krewe?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

The silly season is here!

Bob May

Mark Mathu spake thus:

You already know this one: "cabeese". (Although some would say "cabeeses", from the Looney Tunes "mouse--> meese--> meeses".)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Model railroader had an article on the Undec RR in April 1977.

I think Linn Westcott made them upside down, it's a lot easier.

Reply to
Erik Olsen

Yeah, I remember that one... it was a classic! And it actually had a prototype basis for "Undec" equipment!

Reply to
Mark Mathu

The question I'd really like answered- if anyone knows the spring tension of a Kadee coupler spring. That way I could calculate a trajectory and put a small box in the exact spot, instead of crawling around on the floor to find them.

Reply to
areibel

Nice! Those "thoughts" sound very much like "Steven Wrightisms".

Happy A-Fools day! :-) Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

3.843grams per 2/3rds millimeter.

That way I could calculate a

Reply to
Greg Procter

Reply to
Ken Day

You been hanging around George Carlin ?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Day

Peter W. had it Wright.

Reply to
Steve Caple

LOL! Good on yer, Mark M!

This one went straight through to the keeper - care to explain?

Cheers,

Mark.

Reply to
mark_newton

mark_newton spake thus:

Oh, that's right, you're not a Merkin. (That's an odd phrase to *my* ears--"went straight through to the keeper").

In Nawlins, during Mardi Gras, part of the festivities is mock battles between groups known as "krewes" (which I assume is kind of a creole for "crews", but I could be wrong about that).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

A "krewe" is a special association of people, commonly used to refer to the Mardi Gras celebration in New Orleans.

Mark Mathu

mark_newton spake thus:

More info here:

David Nebenzahl

Pennsylvania Railroad modelers would probably want to say: "cabin cars."

Reply to
Mark Mathu

That's SO log cabin. With those little round windows they look like porta-potties.

Reply to
Steve Caple